Friday, May 31, 2024

Started by Zephyrus52246, May 31, 2024, 09:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Morning all.

Hard to believe it's the last day of May.  Going to be a warm one here.  Still haven't seen the roofers.  Maybe next week.

Jeff

ReadingBob

Good morning, Jeff and all who follow,

Just prepping (aka staying out of the wife's way until she tells me to do something) for a belated retirement party we're hosting tomorrow night as well as our upcoming trip to PA (we leave on Monday).  

I'm close to wrapping up the Gorman Sign build but won't start anything new until we get back home (the day before Father's Day if all goes according to plan).  Might do the FOS freebie Hot Dog stand next and then dig into a mobile home with a meth lab detail kit for the interior.  Both are from INTER-ACTION Hobbies.  That should keep me busy for a little while.

Have a great one!  
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

It's interesting:  Grandt changed the tooling on the cornice part I'm using for my row houses in a relatively subtle way.  I'm surprised they went to the effort to retool that part. 

Here's the old and new label, same part number.  Look at the circled ends of the parts.  The old part (black styrene) had outward facing steps on both left and right sides.  The new part has a -recess- on the right side that aligns with the outward facing steps on the left side.
IMG_9933.jpg

Now when I did the cornices with the old parts, I sanded the right side of one and the left side of the other basically square.  (Then I slightly under-cut both from the back, to get a tighter joint.)

With the new parts, in theory they should fit together to make a longer cornice section.  But in practice there's flash on the casting.  So I used a triangular needle file to clean off the flash on each side of the joint, and then slightly under-cut both ends from the rear. 
Back to the train room, to trim the cornice assembly and then glue onto the row houses.  Then I can prime/paint the brick color. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

tom.boyd.125

Morning,
 Rain on the way for today and this weekend. Can't believe another month is gone...the most important item in this photo is the can of Pepsi...
 Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Vietnam Seabee

So bob, how long you gonna milk this retirement party business. ;-))

Terry

Vietnam Seabee

Tommy..  how about a shot of that stone work...coloring looks great, what I can see of it

Also, I'll be returning the postage on that kit you bought from me. I'm offering free shipping on the remaining kits I have listed

Terry

MartyO

Amtrak was on time, if you call being 5 hours late on time.
Marty