Syzdek Mfg by Downtown Deco

Started by nycjeff, June 22, 2024, 09:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Your build is turning out great.  Love the bump out, sign and the roof details. 

Jeff

nycjeff

Now it's time to add some details to the main building. The large Syzdek sign and the Crates and Pallets sign came with the kit. I scratchbuilt the roof top sign frame. I thought the company name looked better on the roof. The small signs down low came from my sign stash.

IMG_1269.JPG

The left side of the main building was next. I like the war bonds sign- it gives a good time frame reference, which for me is the late 1940's.. The fire escape platform is from Tichy and the angle vent is from Walthers. I'm really pleased with the brick color on this kit. This is the best wall look that I have done on a kit to this point.

IMG_1270.JPG

Next is the rear wall. The large vent fan/ ductwork assembly is from Walthers and I used some styrene pieces from my stash for the scuppers and downspouts. They help hide the seams in the walls.

IMG_1271.JPG

The right side wall will remain blank. It is mostly covered by the annex and the covered loading dock that I built. It's a shame to cover up such fine wall detailing, but you will still be able to see much of the beautiful plaster details when the build is completed.

IMG_1272.JPG

Finally for today, a look at the roof of the main building. I can't remember where the ductwork casting came from and the other details just came from my rootop casting stash.

IMG_1273.JPG

That's it for now, more later.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 19, 2024, 09:40:09 AMYour build is turning out great.  Love the bump out, sign and the roof details.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, thanks for looking in and for the feedback. I looked at your fine work on Downtown Deco kits when preparing for this build.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Vietnam Seabee

Jeff...looking better snd better with each of your postings

terry

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

nycjeff

Quote from: Vietnam Seabee on July 19, 2024, 09:57:45 AMJeff...looking better snd better with each of your postings

terry

Hello Terry, appreciate you checking out my build. I'm having a lot of fun with this one.

Quote from: Janbouli on July 21, 2024, 05:33:16 AMSo NICE , great job Jeff

Hello Jan, thanks for looking in and for the nice comments.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

ACL1504

Jeff,

Very well done, looks great.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Tom, thanks for taking the time to look into my build and for the kind words.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Continuing on with my kit build/ kitbash/ scratchbuild...

Next we take a closer look at what was the First Timers Bar kit. I decided to make it an office entry area for the main building. Here's a look at the left side. I used the same color scheme as the main building for this area. I added a few signs from my sign stash.

IMG_1280.JPG

Here's the front wall. The light over the door is from Tichy. I used the same colored construction paper for the roof.

IMG_1281.JPG

The right side will go up against the main building, so I built a false wall from 1/16 plywood.

IMG_1282.JPG

The rear wall is a portion of the original right side wall that I cut to size to fit here.

IMG_1283.JPG

Here's how it looks in place next to the main building. The small tin shed came with the Syzdek kit.

IMG_1284.JPG
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

deemery

The 'side entrance building' idea is another winner.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

nycjeff

Hello Dave, thanks for looking in. I'm glad you like my little kitbash with the First Timers Bar. I'm very pleased with how it looks as a side entry to Syzdek.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

It was finally time to put all six sub-assemblies together. The two main kit buildings, the kitbashed side entry area, the scratchbuilt covered loading dock, the scratchbuilt second story bumpout on the front of the annex building and the scratchbuilt large bumpout that extends over the siding. I'm a big fan of the plaster wall details, but I'm also very pleased that a lot of them have been covered up with all of the add-ons. You appreciate the wall details more when they aren't all that you see.

First a front view with the new side entry. I glued all of the pieces to a base of styrene sheeting as I always do before placing my builds on the layout. I like how the bit of concrete in front of the entry areas came out.

IMG_1285.JPG

Another front view showing the covered loading dock and the second floor bumpout. As I've said during the build, I love this kit except for the boarded up windows and doors in the annex building. I wanted to show an active business, not one that was in decline or closed. I think I got what I wanted.

IMG_1286.JPG

The right side view with the large over-the-track bumpout. The wood framed support for the end of the bumpout is not shown here. To prevent my breaking it, I waited to install the support until I was ready to place the build on my layout.

IMG_1287.JPG

A rear view. Even though this side can't be seen after I place it on the layout, I was very pleased with how it looks. This was my first attempt at a large wall sign and I also likle how the large vent fan and duct look.

IMG_1288.JPG
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

I'll close out this post with three more views of the build. I'm pleased with the look of the many roof surfaces. I had a lot of fun with this build and spent a lot of time and effort to transform the look of an older closed up building to a very much in use building. I understand the emphasis on Downtown Deco's design of older type kits, but I'm glad that I was able to make mine a little different.

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

That's it for now, I'm waiting for a few outside the build details to arrive in the mail. After they are complete I'll post some pictures of the completed build as it looks on my layout. Until then, thanks to all who took the time to look in and provide some feedback. Doing these buld threads is a lot of fun in itself, but it's always satisfying to see that others are interested in what I'm doing.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Mark Dalrymple

This came out really nicely, Jeff.

Nice to have something unique on the layout, and this has been changed up a lot.  I'm pleased you have added the supports to the side jut out.  Looking forward to see them and the whole complex installed on your layout.  Also pleased to see the scuppers and downpipes added at the back.

Cheers, Mark.

restocarp

This looks great, Jeff! I love the variety of materials, dimensions and shapes. Lots of little corners and shadows to get the eye to linger.

Matt