Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Started by Zephyrus52246, October 16, 2024, 08:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Morning all,

Brrr.  We may have  to turn on the heat today.  It's down to 33 deg F outside and 63 inside.  Glad I have my little heater here in my computer/work room.  

I have a physical therapy appointment this morning and the wife has an appointment at the same clinic for her procedure that will hopefully get her better.  

Still working on the locomotive.  Got the old decoder out, and managed to get the tender apart.  Why did they build it where you had to take the trucks off to get at the screws to take it apart?  Weird.  Trying to figure out where to put all the components for a new install.

This crane was at the Green Bay museum as well, somewhat the worse for wear. 

Jeff

MartyO

Morning,

Two steps forward and four steps back seems to me my mantra for the past few days. But today will be different!
Marty

BandOGuy

No lurking this morning. I'm here with coffee and cold weather. Guess that will suspend my deck staining completion until Friday when we're forecast 70-degree weather.
Carry on: I'll be in the area all day.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

deemery

A step back in my bridge project, too. I knocked the deck to the floor, and the wood stringers all popped off from the plastic ties.  Sigh...  My plan going forward is to assemble the bents (waiting on a set of locking tweezers to use as clamps for the bent-to-bent bracing), and then I'll cut the new stringers and glue them to the bents.  The bridge will then 'float' on the stringers (not be glued down, but I'm expecting a tight fit.)

Other than that, bright and chilly today.  It's time for our monthly lunch group, so not much work in the train room this morning.  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jerryrbeach

Good morning.

Dave, sorry to hear about your mishap with the bridge.  Setbacks like that are disheartening to say the least.

Another cold and rainy day here, looks like the weather will improve starting tomorrow if the weather guessers are right.

Still on my "freight car kick". 

I hope everyone has a safe and productive day!
Jerry

ACL1504

Morning all,

We have house guests coming in on Saturday, nephew and his wife. So, I have a short "honey do" list to complete.

Hope everyone has a great day. Cool here with a 67.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Morning, time to go to the bank and pick up the SS money...make sure the flannel shirt is on...it's 41 out but will hit 60...then going to the kitchen soon to pack some candy. Out with the family to celebrate birthday # 76 today ... it's only a number.....Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Onewolf

Good morning,

Normal work day.

Outside temp was 36 this morning with some frost on the west side roof.  68 inside.  I try not to turn on the heat until it gets down to around 65 inside.  Looks like it will warm back up to the mid 70s by the weekend and for most of next week.

Trying to locate a source for 4x8 sheets of Homasote. I will start with about 10 sheets of it as I will use it for all the division yard, passenger station/service, and loco service facilities. 42' + 32' + 20' linear feat.

Doug

Photo - The previous layout helix with upper level return loop/staging above.

ReadingBob

Morning all,

Cool here today (as Tom mentioned).  It's a pleasant break from the heat/humidity.

This afternoon I think I'll do some more painting on the Downtown Deco structure I'm working on.

Have a great one!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

While waiting for parts and tools (coming tomorrow), I set the bents into position and took this motivational work-in-progress photo:
IMG_0270.jpg

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

trebor651

Up here in the midwest there is Menards which has 1/2" 4X8 sheets of homasote not sure how far south and east they have stores but it might be a source to check out.

MartyO

Quote from: deemery on October 16, 2024, 08:56:51 AMA step back in my bridge project, too. I knocked the deck to the floor, and the wood stringers all popped off from the plastic ties.  Sigh...  My plan going forward is to assemble the bents (waiting on a set of locking tweezers to use as clamps for the bent-to-bent bracing), and then I'll cut the new stringers and glue them to the bents.  The bridge will then 'float' on the stringers (not be glued down, but I'm expecting a tight fit.)

Other than that, bright and chilly today.  It's time for our monthly lunch group, so not much work in the train room this morning. 

dave
Opps, I done that, specially with the dune buggy lately. Nice recovery.
Marty

Onewolf

Quote from: trebor651 on October 16, 2024, 06:06:07 PMUp here in the midwest there is Menards which has 1/2" 4X8 sheets of homasote not sure how far south and east they have stores but it might be a source to check out.

I found a local building supply company that can order 4x8 1/2" Homasote for $42/per.  Takes 3-4 days to get.