Cypress Creek Railroad

Started by SteveCuster, July 30, 2017, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrylhuffman

A very nice collection of structures.  All displayed in a realistic setting.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

SteveCuster

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone!

Just when I started to get some momentum, I ended up getting pretty sick for the last 2 weeks. I managed to add a few small things and pour the first coat of water to the dock area.

I thought these walls were boring and needed something to add some texture.

I ended up adding some slime using AK interactive enamels. I used a mix of light and dark slime. It came out just how I wanted it, and it was incredibly easy. I haven't done much with thinner based paints since I got away from Floquil but this changed my perspective. I ended up ordering a bunch more of the washes.

I built a few little boats from some wood kits made by Seaport Model Works. They are a little tedious, but they came out decent. They are glued in place but suspended up using small blocks to keep them above the water.

Another of the same type of boat.

This boat is from the same company but a different style. I only built one of these, but I think 3 or 4 came in each bag.

First Envirotex pour is down. I need to do one more pour to get the water to the height I want. I tinted this with a bunch of different blues, a few dark grays, and a couple drops of green. Reaper Miniatures Solid Blue, AK 3rd gen Anthracite and Grey Black with a few drops of Reaper Meadow Green.

That's all for this update, I'll give the epoxy a few days to cure then I'll do another coat. My FSM Pile Driver will go on top of the water, and I'll add some ripples once all the epoxy is set.

Thanks for following along,
Steve
Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Great looking progress Steve.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looks really good, Steve.

The colour works well.

Cheers, Mark.

Zephyrus52246

Nice waterfront scene.  Good job on the water color.

Jeff

Jim Donovan

Love it, I'm going to have to try that AK tint I like the look.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

cuse

Wow...nothing like adding a large water area to bring a layout to life....that's a big area to pour at one time. Congrats. 

Nice work on the slime too...that really adds to the scene.

Janbouli

That looks so nice , waterfront scenes are a delight.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ReadingBob

Wow!  Beautiful scene coming together there.  Top notch modeling on the structures and boats.  Terrific work on the scenery.  Thanks for sharing.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jerry

Wonderful looking scene Steve.  That green really made a difference!  And the water very realistic looking.

Do have any trouble with the envirotex creeping up the pilings?

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

Jerry, it does creep a bit on the pilings and everything else, but the next pour won't be very thick so hopefully it will flow right up to the creep line and make most of it disappear. Once I add some waves to the surface, any creep that happened will make sense when the water feels more "in motion".

Envirotex pours are one of the most nerve-wracking parts of a layout, mainly because they are difficult to fix if it doesn't work out. This is the biggest one I've ever done and it's right up front so that added to the stress a bit. I plan on doing the next pour this weekend, the epoxy is still tacky, so I need to wait.

In the meantime, I started working on some small buildings and a mess of castings so I should have an update on some other areas soon.

Thanks for following along,
Steve
Steve Custer

Jerry

Thanks Steve.  I was wondering because of have two piers, docks that I need to do water around.

Seeing I've never done water before I assume the Envirotex goes under the pilings when you pour it?

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Jerry,

Envirotex takes forever to set up, so even though it's pretty thick it finds its way around everything. I had some pretty large, uncovered areas under the dock when I went to bed but by the morning the stuff leveled out and found its way around all the pilings. Unfortunately, this also means it will find any small holes you miss when sealing the base. I poured a river on the layout, and I must've missed a little void or hole. About 2-3 hours after I poured, I noticed a quarter sized drop on the floor. I followed the drip path under the layout and duct taped any possible drip path from below. It worked but I lost a little bit of the Envirotex and got a bunch of it in my hair.

My advice is to pour it when you can periodically check on it every 30 minutes or so and don't touch it to see if it's ready. Save the pouring container and touch that instead. When you think it's set, check it with a piece of wood to see if it's tacky, not your finger. It's much easier to hide a little mark from wood on the surface than it is to hide a fingerprint.

-Steve
Steve Custer

deemery

Steve, great advice on the Liquitex pour.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to