Geezer's Lounge (Rev 1) - Volume 6

Started by Rick, September 05, 2026, 06:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomO/Tloc

#330
Good morning from the Land of Cheese and less but bigger lakes (total acreage) than our westerly neighbor of 10,000 lakes. It's cool at 41f degrees and a guessed high of 62. My app says the overnight low was 39. Our area's 1st frost is typically between 10/1 and 10/15. Up north about 100 miles it's from 9/21 to 10/5. I like the pretty flowers hanging around in the nice pots.

The grandson has an away soccer tournament 15 minutes away but the 1st game is at 8 and the temperature will be about 44 but feeling like 33. We'll go to the 2nd game at noonish. This tournament is actually time wise closer by a few minutes than the home pitch is for the team from our place.

I wanted my deck expanded from 12' long x 8' wide to something bigger like 12x12 but the quote from our contractor was the price of a cheap (now a days) car. I'd like to grill and have a few places to sit out there. I like just going out on the deck and relaxing anytime I feel like it if the weather is cooperating. Terry used to join me but with my grill and only 1 chair it's not the same. Putting the grill on the patio on ground level is now the plan in the Spring. No, I am not getting a smaller grill, the 4 burner gas fits our needs very well. Terry says about 80% of our dinner meals are cooked on the grill by her or mostly me. We'll adjust to going down to grill. There is just no value added by expanding the deck.

Today other than the soccer somewhere around noon is to clean the studio some and take a few pictures of the canvas I am painting. I thought I had posted some previously but I guess not. I was asked why the uptick in painting? I needed a break from model railroading, especially trees! I also have (proud to say) a joint gallery showing with 2 others at Thanksgiving time that I am told by the gallery owner is a great time to sell for Christmas. She will show 25 canvases from each of us but wants at least 2x's that many there to show interested buyers. I have no style as I paint what I feel not so much what I see. Maybe an impressionist? Monet had his series of Haystack paintings. I have a few pictures of the grain bags that we see around Wisconsin and other Midwest farms. Those long while plastic storage things. But mainly no people or rarely mechanical objects in the painting. I paint free style as I have no actual training. It reminds me of my time as a kid designing and coloring golf courses, then drawing floor plans and later the walls around them. I called it doodling.

Why start to paint after 70? It's not just that I enjoy it though I do. My health issues in 8/2024 took a lot out of me and I lost the natural (for me) feel for weathering freight cars which was until it became too intense a great sense of joy and release for me. Painting is almost the same feeling now. I have gotten back into weathering (mainly diesels) but while it's no longer a series of frustrations it's not natural yet but I keep moving towards that feeling

Enough of me, enjoy your day
TomO

elwoodblues

Good morning everyone,

Thanks for the coffee and breakfast Larry.  Hope the rest of the firewood gets picked up.  Have fun at the bench.

Mike, glad your scan was clean and you are feeling better.

Dave, enjoy the harvest festival and scotch club.

Rick, hope you get the coffee grinder fixed, it's essential for one's well-being. 😊

Tom, enjoy your day with Pam.

Curt, hope you can get the bow of the boat fixed.  I think we have all done something like that.

Karl, you shouldn't say things like this "AT least bass wood doesn't leave too big a mark on the wall, as long as you miss the TV or computer monitor....", It made me spit out my coffee. 😊  Sounds like you had a busy day.

TomO, was wondering why so much painting lately, now I know why.  Hope the Thanksgiving show goes well and we need to see some of those paintings.

Weather here is 11c (52f) and sunny.  Ended up working most of the day yesterday but I did make it down stairs and started roughing out the mountains, think Minecraft.  Today I need to run a couple of errands, probably cut the grass in the back yard for the last time, and have a walk with Gracie.  After that it will be more Minecraft mountain making time.

Have a great day everyone.
Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railroad Co.
www.cvry.ca

Jerry

Morning everyone

Larry thanks for the coffee & breakfast.
I hope that guy gets the rest of the firewood.

Mike hope you make it upstairs today.

Morning Dave.

Nice picture Rick.

Tom have a nice day with Pam.

Curt I hope you can fix the boat??

Karl glad your feeling better.  And free donuts should help the sinus!!

TomO how about a picture of some of your art work.

Ron good luck with the mountains.

Weather in South Jersey is cloudy/64.
Nothing got done from the bench yesterday again.
Just busy doing other things.  :(
Well maybe today I'll get there seeing its not a nice day outside.

Everyone have a great day!!  :)

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Good Morning All,

Today for breakfast is coffee, cereal, bagels, yogurt, pastry, OJ, and soda.

Slept pretty good last night. Yesterday MOH got home around 4 pm instead of the expected 6 pm. In the train room I attached the keel blocks to the keel and read ahead about how to construct and attach the ship's ribs. I think this step will take several days to do.

Today after chores I'll get started on the ribs.

Nothing much else happening this way besides rain later.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Rick

Good morning everyone.

A brisk 45 now, sunny and 69 later.

Curt, thanks for the coffee and breakfast.
Glad you slept well and no need to rush putting the boat together.

Jerry, what's going on?

Ron, I bought a cheap grinder to tide me over till I could fix the better grinder.
Can't be without my fix in the morning.

TomO, I'd love to see what you're painting.
I can't draw a stick figure so photography is my artistic outlet.

Karl, glad you slept well and hoppers look good.
Amish stories?

Dave, you're right about the sumac.

ACLTom, keep resting and your strength will start to come back.
Have you talked with your doctor about supplementing with creatine?

Mike, any upstairs news?

How's everyone else?

Hitting Walmart and Harbor Freight were checked off the list.
Opened up the coffee grinder and it was jammed with a bunch of grounds and partially ground beans.
Seems to work now.
Another hike planned for after breakfast.

One more from Thursdays hike.

100126NewtonHillsSP04Small.jpg

Have a great day everyone.

Larry C

Good Morning,

Curt thanks for the coffee and breakfast. Glad you slept better; at our age a good nights sleep is meant to be cherished. I agree with Rick take your time on the boat and enjoy the journey. Like motorcycles folks often say "It's not the destination but rather the journey."

Rick I'm like you; not getting my morning coffee means trouble. Glad the grinder is working and have an enjoyable and safe hike. Thanks for posting another beautiful photo.

What's happening in your neck of the woods?

It's a cloudy 46 with a high of 67 here. The trees are starting to turn somewhat but up North in the Adirondacks they're at their peak. Watched a drone flyover video yesterday and the area is gorgeous. Now that I've added more bits to the inside of the hull sides, courtesy of Rob's knowledge, today I may start on the wheelhouse construction. Not sure about the rest of the day; depends on the weather.

Have a great day!! Be well and stay safe.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

friscomike

Good morning,

Curt, thanks for the coffee and breakfast. Good news that you slept better.

Rick, thanks for the colorful photo.  Wishing you a great hike today.

Jerry, hope you make it to the bench.

Ron, how did the mountain crafting go?

TomO, good luck to your grandson. Good to have creative outlets as we age.

Karl, ouch for Sparty.  Congrats on getting the lawn mowed.

Dave, how was the Scotch club?

Larry, good luck with the boat.  It's nice to have forum members that help our builds.

TomACL, I'm sure Pam enjoyed the day with you.

How is the rest of the crew?

It's a rainy morning, and rain is forecast for the next four days.  Temperatures are falling, finally.  The forecast for today is 75F and down in the 50s this week.  Yesterday I worked on the engine shed doors.  The hinges were a bit fiddly, but I finally got them sorted. Not much on the agenda today: football and some time on the shed.

Have fun,
mike

TomO/Tloc

Happy Sunday to all. 50 now and 70 later.

The pictures of the paintings will be coming and I won't forget this time. Jerry I don't paint people or animals because somehow stick figure people look like stick figure people when I draw them.

Karl, our Badgers are really bad so I guess your season is going worst. I rarely follow NCAA football but I looked for the score this morning. Our football team boosters keep begging for more NIL money and they only have 20 mill to play the football team this season. That ranks 14th in the Big Ten.

I now take my thyroid replacement meds at bedtime which is normally midnight. At wake up which is now about 6:15 as I walk now only the treadmill instead of outside. I was up this morning and thyroid pill was still there next to the wake up blood pressure pill. Almost 90 minutes since wake up I see both pills are still there. Thyroid taken now and alarm set with a note in notes to take the thyroid. I've been tested for any issues and they say I'm good but forgetfulness is normal.

I will I promise post pictures of some of the canvases. That's a double reminder, see above!

Milestone this morning sort of. August 2024 before my health turned I weighted 215, still heavy but in the right direction. Gained 30#s in 2 months from steroids, other meds and only physical therapy. Finally today at 225 with mainly walking, diet and the big turning point was chair yoga started in July. 45 minutes anytime during the day is fine but for me usually around 8am after I have been to the only 2 forums I normally read. I was skeptical because it looks too easy but it's not easy and while you don't (I didn't anyway) feel a burn you knew when completed you had a work out. I still walk 2-3 miles on the thread mill but that has become just a habit but it's decent cardio. Terry's doctor approved the chair yoga plan for her on Thursday and she started yesterday. She's gained 26#s since her health issues started. She's hoping for some weight loss but mainly regaining her balance and some better breathing. This from a woman who weighed 98# at our wedding and 48 years later was complaining about being heavy at 108. Think of what I hear from her now!

The grandson plays soccer this morning and should advance to the championship this afternoon. But they have to win this morning and they continued yesterday the excellent play of the past few games. We missed the 7-4 morning win where he had 4 goals but did see the afternoon game where he had 1 in the 2–1 win.

The granddaughter now 15 and a special needs sophomore went to homecoming with a friend. She had a good time and she loves to dance but her friend was wheel chaired. Her mom said 5 of the high school hockey team and the 2 basketball team captains danced with her. All kids she has known since pre-school. Everyone was happy last night

Enjoy the day
TomO

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

KentuckySouthern

I held out until 3rd quarter. #2 QB came in to change the look and fowled up his knee on 3rd play. Hit red OFF button. Local news guy says rest of season should be played off line somewhere.   :o For the Spartans there were no highlights. Injury list grew.

Nice Fall day in Michigan today. Going to 70o.

Lions on the Sunday night game. No great expectations there.

elwoodblues

Good morning everyone,

Curt, thanks for the coffee and breakfast.

Rick, glad the coffee grinder is working again.  With views like that, I'd be hiking every day, enjoy your hike. 

Larry, good to hear you are making progress on the boat.

Mike, enjoy the football games.

TomO, sounds like your granddaughter had a great time.  Looking forward to seeing your paintings.  For the record the Canes won again last night.

Karl, hope the lions do well tonight.

Current weather here is 7c (45f) very cloudy with  40% chance of rain later today.  Worked on the Minecraft mountains yesterday but didn't get much done as I wasn't liking the look so I basically made modifications to what I already did.  Going out to listen to live music didn't help the building process, but I now have a plan.  Going to watch the race today and I plan to continue the mountain build.

Have a great day everyone.
 
Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railroad Co.
www.cvry.ca

deemery

Last night at Scotch Club we heard about a 'competitive team' soccer game for one of the neighborhood kids.  The officiating was terrible.  The other team was aggressive, in one case punching a kid in the nose, and also they scored on a blatant offsides.  For that kind of competition, refereeing should be better!    Otherwise, a good session.  

My shelf units arrived late yesterday.  These'll fit underneath the benchwork.  I'll assemble those and start organizing scenery materials on them.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Jerry

Afternoon everyone

Running late today.  

Weather here in South Jersey in rain/67.
Maybe a good day to do some modeling.
But not positive about that!

Everyone have a wonderful day!!  :)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Powered by EzPortal