Video Tour

Started by Chet, September 30, 2014, 12:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Chet,

Welcome to the forum and what a way to open. your video is great. You are doing a marvelous job on your layout. Congrats!!! The scenery is wonderful and I like the sagebrush trees. Are the rocks homemade or did you buy them? They look great. Whose camera did you use? Go Pro or something else. I have a Mobius camera. I have run it at the front of a train, but I really like your idea of putting it "in the train". Great idea. Look forward to seeing more of your layout.

Frank / Erieman

Chet

http://modelersforum.com/gallery/263-011014113316.jpeg

Here's what I used for a camera car. The camera is what I had on hand. Unfortunately it was too large to fit through tunnel portals and into the hidden staging at the end of the video. The train comes out of the hidden staging area where the NP switcher is whe the train leaves the yard at the beginning of the video.

One problem I did have is that all of my flat cars are equipped with sprung Kadee trucks and with super elevated curves, if the camera wasn't balanced perfectly, I would get a nice video of it rolling down a hill side.

The rocks are hydrocal castings from Woodland Scenics molds.

Erieman

Chet,

Yes, that is one big camera and there is no way to get that thru the tunnels. I faced the same problem some time ago and then someone introduced me to the mobius camera. (see photo) base price is around $80 for the camera and 8G of memory. Add $10 for 16G and $20 for 32G. The camera is 1080p, wide screen HD video. As you can see, I have mounted it on a flat cat and added a small raised block. I started with the camera directly on the flatbed and did not really like the image - too much track. Raising the camera gives a better view of everything. After looking at the height of your camera, I might even make a taller mounting block to check out what the camera see's. The video image is the most important part and the fact that this has no problem going into tunnels. If you would like more information on the camera, let me know and I'll did up the link. Thanks again for the wonderful video. And the rocks are great too.

Frank / Erieman

Chet

If I had a longer main line run I might consider another camera. While visiting another modeler in another state, he invited me to a local model railroad club layout and they had a similar set up as yours. It really worked well. The only track I can't run on is the hidden staging trackage, and that usually isn't very interesting. Can't see buying another camera for that.

Erieman

Chet,

One advantage of the camera running on the front of the train has been to see track issues, dust and dirt, etc. Actually, all of the six layouts that I have used the video camera, we only found a very few issues. Running it the dark area of staging, tunnels, etc.has been fun because you get to see some of the construction details, wiring that is hanging close to the track, etc.. It serves as a good trouble shooter.

Your camera does a fine job and, as you say, no need to take it in the dark.  Based on what I see on your video and the height of the camera lens, I'm going to build another camera block to try it out with a higher viewpoint. I really like your video. Have you taken video going into sidings, engine house, etc.?

Frank / Erieman

Chet

I have a few other videos taken with the camera running in front but I really like to see the train wind through switches and curves. It gives a little different perspective. Here is an old video taken running in the opposite direction. It is older and more scenery has been added since.                        - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hheRPelQKyk

S&S RR

Quote from: Chet on October 01, 2014, 11:41:35 AM
http://modelersforum.com/gallery/263-011014113316.jpeg

Here's what I used for a camera car. The camera is what I had on hand. Unfortunately it was too large to fit through tunnel portals and into the hidden staging at the end of the video. The train comes out of the hidden staging area where the NP switcher is whe the train leaves the yard at the beginning of the video.

One problem I did have is that all of my flat cars are equipped with sprung Kadee trucks and with super elevated curves, if the camera wasn't balanced perfectly, I would get a nice video of it rolling down a hill side.

The rocks are hydrocal castings from Woodland Scenics molds.

Chet

Again welcome you are very close to posting pictures - I found your picture in the Gallery and copied the BB code.  You find this by clicking on the picture and the scrolling down to the codes.  I have copied that code and pasted it here. And through the magic of computers it displays the picture.  Sizing the picture will affect the presentation - like getting rid of the scroll bars.  I hope this helps.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Chet

I did stumble on how to do it, just hope I can remember. I'll call you in a while. I managed to post a picture on "the Empire" on layout tours. It's a great way to support benchwork along a wall.

S&S RR

Your video's are great and I agree with Frank they really help with finding track problems.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Chet on October 01, 2014, 04:22:41 PM
I did stumble on how to do it, just hope I can remember. I'll call you in a while. I managed to post a picture on "the Empire" on layout tours. It's a great way to support benchwork along a wall.

You got it - just saw the picture you posted on Jeff's thread.
John Siekirk