Abendstern Nebenbahn

Started by vikas chander, October 05, 2014, 03:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vikas chander

Hi,

Well , here's another layout build thread on a model railway i am building - Abendstern Nebenbahn. The layout is a Ho scale German model railway set in the 70s. One could read more extensively about it on my blog  .... http://vikaschander.com/category/abendstern-nebenbahn/ . Many of you may have read about it on the "other forum"....

The layout is housed in a purpose built 1000sq ft room and is basically a point to point around the walls design....

At one end is the terminus station featuring 4 platfrom faces, 2 siding and a shunt lead alongwith a few warehouses and a goods shed...

and an Altstadt .....

as well as a loco shed with a 6 stall roundhouse and a detailed interior .....

a rural riverside scene section which still needs to be scenicked ....

and a staging yard at the other end....

I just uploaded an article on how i setup the DCC system for this layout .....
I planned the entire system based around five power districts ....

Each power district has it's own dedicated panel which holds an 8 amps booster & circuit breakers as well as all the necessary block detectors and stationary decoders .

A PC running Freiwald Software's TrainController Gold controls the layout.

lots of other tidbits of DCC related information on the blog - http://vikaschander.com/the-blog/ so wander on over and have a look see.

cheers

vikas

ACL1504

Vikas,

The layout is beautiful, the lighting seems perfect and the wiring neatness is a bit scary.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Vikas

Great to see you start a layout thread here on this forum.  Your layout is beautiful. I have been checking in on your blog from time to time.  I think your work is outstanding.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

Really world-class work. Just like your photography. Very very nice all around.

Thanks for taking the time to share it here.

John

Chet

That some really nice work. I enjoy European railroading as I did travel a lot by train in Europe years ago. Keep the pictures coming.

Twist67

Hi,

Awesome layout.Great attention to detail and also great photos and lightning.I´ve been checking in your blog some time ago.Fantastic work.

cheers,chris

GPdemayo

Great work Vikas.....thanks for sharing!  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

BrianM

Thanks for posting all the photos of your outstanding layout, Vikas.  Looks fantastic.

Will you be able to make t over to Expo 2015?  Look forward to seeing you again if you can!
BrianM - sometimes home in San Antonio, TX

bparrish

Vikas...

Great railroad..........  Thanks for put it up here for us to see.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Vikas

What is new on your layout?  I checked out your blog and it looks like you have been doing some traveling to see some great layouts.
John Siekirk

NEMMRRC

vikas chander

Hi Forum,

It's been a while since i last updated my blog and that was because the subject I was dealing with was not the easiest to portray in a logical manner - Computer Control of a model railway.

a video seemed the logical way to go .... Abendstern Computer Control

Abendstern nebenbahn has been setup for operations under the control of a computer software - Train Controller Gold from Freiwald Software .... and one can read about it more here -  vikaschander.com

In the blog update I talk about the importance of ensuring stall free operations as key - one way of achieving that is by all wheel pickups as on this rail bus ....

Speed profiling is key....

setting up the blocks with their exact lengths help trains come to a stop smoothly....

Programming signal logic can be a pain in the....

and elaborate switchboards can be made to control lighting as well .

so make sure your next magnum opus is computer controlled !

Cheers

Vikas

donatode

Vikas, that software is almost as impressive as your layout.  What can't it do .... give you a shave and a hair cut?

S&S RR

Vikas

Good to hear from you.  The software does look very impressive - I'm off to check out your blog.  Thanks for sharing this.
John Siekirk