CR Lamb diorama proceeds

Started by jbelwood, October 07, 2014, 07:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbelwood

Somehow I erased the entire post. But here is the CR Lamb with the dolphins temporarily set in place.
They need a little tweaking and some weathering touch up. Both are positioned as in the prototype
photo on page 5 of the instruction book.

NEMMRRC

gnatshop

The CR Lamb, it's base, and surrounding details looks fantastic!

Makes me wan'na build a boat!!!  ;D ;D ;D

DACS

My goodness gracious, sakes alive!  That is a beautifully crafted sternwheeler.  Very well done!  From what I can see, that would fit very nicely in any museum.

Maybe they are tiny or I am losing my eyesight, but...where are the dolphins?  Have I missed a pic?

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

jbelwood

Dave, those pilings lashed together are called dolphins.

DACS

Ahhhh, I see said the blind man, as he scratched his wooden leg.   I feel really ignorant.    :o  But, not anymore!  Now I know something brand new!

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

jbelwood

I find the ModelersForum the easiest to post photos. While working on the Lamb, I thought I'd
throw out a few photos of my scratch built Islander. This uses an old Crow River plaster hull with
everything else built out of styrene. She has been tied up pier side in Puget Mills on my layout
for about 4 years. That's right, I am a model railroader.

bparrish

John.   

What a cool model. 

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

coors2u

John, that Islander is awesome!!!
Dustin

jbelwood

Thanks Bob and Dustin. When I pass into the great beyond, I'll be aboard Islander.
Everything else will be left behind.

gnatshop

That Elwood feller is awfull durn good!

I'd be glad to join him on the last trip of the Islander -
well, luckily, that's not my decision to make!!!  ;D ;D ;D

S&S RR

John

Great thread and great work.  I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jbelwood

I started working on the base for the CR Lamb. I first stained the routed sides with MinWax Golden Oak.
Next, the flat surface was spray painted with Krylon Flat Black followed up with a light spray of Floquil
Coach Green. I should have been more aggressive with the green as you can barely notice it. Trying to
match the water color in a local river.

Took blue painters tape and dammed the four edges. The odd ball thingy on the left is my idea to seal
the concave cut out from incursion of Envirotex. That where the paddle wheel goes. The three white
circles indicate the three drilled out holes for the dolphin pilings. I'll drill these out after the resin is cured.

The final touch is to stipple a few coats of Mod Podge over this to create a still water look. No waves in
this scene as it is a calm lake.  Not sure how this will come out but will follow with more pics, good or bad.

ollevon

Sounds like it will come out really nice. Cant wait to see more.
  Sam

jbelwood

Have three coats of Mod Podge over Envirotex with a few more to go.
Next up is mooring lines, deck details, and what ever else seems to fit
the scene. Both models, although fastened to the base, will be removeable.