Dave's Antiques

Started by DaveInTheHat, November 30, 2014, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrmueller

Impressive!  Could we have a "refresher course " on the salt technique?  Thanks Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

DaveInTheHat

Quote from: jrmueller on January 08, 2015, 09:53:29 AM
Impressive!  Could we have a "refresher course " on the salt technique?  Thanks Jim

I don't feel like I've really got the hang of the salt technique. What I did was use a base color. Then I use hair spray to get the salt to stick to the buillding. After that dries paint it the final color. When the paint is dry chip all the salt off.
There are a lot of other model builders that seem to have really mastered this technique. I need to play around with it more to get the results that I'm looking for.

jrmueller

Thanks I'll give it a try. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

DaveInTheHat

The buildings are now mounted to the base.
I've been spending time working on the landscaping and painting all the little stuff.

shane.carnell.1

Beautiful work and I am hook on the idea now using hair spray and salt.

DaveInTheHat

I'm getting close to being finished this diorama. I spent a lot of time working on little things and adding details. I had sort of a change in my plan. I decided to make the bigger building the antique store and the smaller one something else. That didn't really work out ether because I ended up with more stuff than I thought.

This is just a portion of the things I came up with.

Just to give a perspective of the size, here's a tea cup in my hand.

I made a sign for the front of the building out of wood and paper.

I must have rearranged everything about 100 times. Here's a couple pictures with all the stuff in place.

cuse

That's a great scene. You could study it for quite a while and keep enjoying new finds...nice work Dave!

John

Dave K.

Nice work. 👍  I, too, am a recent convert to using real glass. What program do you use to make your signs? 🚂

ACL1504

Dave,

Wonderful stuff and you really captured antique look in front.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

Mega-clutter............... Wow!  ! ! ! !

Very cool

Thanx Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

DaveInTheHat

Quote from: Dave K. on February 03, 2015, 07:01:52 AM
Nice work. 👍  I, too, am a recent convert to using real glass. What program do you use to make your signs? 🚂

I use Adobe Illustrator.

bparrish

To the two Dave's

I'll take no credit for perhaps being an influence on you or anyone else around here having gone to using real glass...........

But.........

I'll say it again............

Nothing looks like glass except glass.

Great model.

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Dave K.

Thanks for the response, Dave. How's the learning curve on Illustrator? And yes, Bob, you're the "glass pusher" that coaxedme into trying it again. 👍 😁

DaveInTheHat

I guess if you've never used Illustrator it might seem a bit complicated. I shouldn't take too much time to figure out the basic stuff. It's a very powerful program a lot of features. I've been using it since the early 80's and I still find things that I didn't know about. I do like it better than Corel Draw, but that's just personal preference.