Cork 'n' roll

Chimney Sweeper

But I'm stubborn and, mostly, I had planned a small area that is sort of a rift or a canyon and is going to host some small industrial and/or mining mess. Shortly: I need rocks.
I noticed that in railroad modelling cork bark is not used at all. At least in Italy, where this hobby is seen as something dogmatic and whatever you do there's always someone telling "it's nice but... I would have done differently here" (so your self esteem is punched and in your mind the seed of doubt is planted). Anyway, in military modelling cork bark is quite common and, according to some online tutorials, results are really good.

These are the characteristics of cork bark I found that are convenient for modelling. At least for my modelling.
1) light weight;
2) cork bark is naturally similar to rocks;
3) colour: in my particular case rocks are brown-red and not the classical grey. The cork natural colour could be just adjusted instead of colouring and painting some "artificial" product from zero;
4) availability: it's quite common in DIY stores (but also pet shops) and not expensive at all;
5) if you make a mistake, you can just replace what you put on court instead of trying to fix it;
6) "Cork" is the anagram of "rock".

Has anybody tried to use this technique? Suggestions? Insults?

Thanks! The Chimney Sweeper.
  • Information