The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 4

Layout tours of our registered members and railroad clubs
mark dalrymple

Terrific modelling, Tom.

The colouring looks spot on. Really nice weathering, too.

Cheers, Mark.
ACL1504

PRR Modeler wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:16 pm Beautiful modeling Tom. The aged concrete on the coaling tower looks pretty much perfect.

Curt,

Thank you. I worked on the coaling tower for a few hours to get the correct look.

Tom :D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
ACL1504

mark dalrymple wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:18 pm Terrific modelling, Tom.

The colouring looks spot on. Really nice weathering, too.

Cheers, Mark.
Mark, Cheers,

Thank you also. The weathering took a bit for it to satisfy my eye.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
ACL1504

I worked on the coal dump ramp the past few days adding ballast to the track. The ramp sides are scratch built and made of scale 10X10s with side support posts.

nlb5952.JPG

I also added ballast and the start of a dirt road to the shed. After the ballast was added to the ramp and sides, I sprayed it with wet water and then added matte medium with an eye dropper. I placed weights to the top to hold the wood in place as the glue dried. I let it dry for a good 36 hours prior to removing the weights. When the water and matte medium is added, the scale wood gets wet and will warp if not held in place while the glue dries.

nlb5953.JPG

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
ACL1504

I used some dirt Reading Bob brought back from PA on one of his vacations. I spread some of the dirt over the tracks and wet with water and then added matte medium. I used a freight truck to go over the rails to "grove out" the dirt so the wheel flanges would clear.

nlb5955.JPG

Here is how it looks when dry.

nlb5956.JPG

Done for today, more photos tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
ACL1504

Oops, forgot this one photo of the end of the coal dump ramp.

nlb5954.JPG
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
SandSRR

Tom

I stopped by to check up on you, my friend. Great to see all this activity on the Atlantic Coast Line. As always, fine work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad
ReadingBob

This is coming along quite nicely. This is really changing the overall appearance of that area of the layout. :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.
GPdemayo

Starting to look like a nasty engine service yard Tom.....the ash pit track on the flat appears to be more realistic, good change. 8-)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL
ACL1504

SandSRR wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:30 pm Tom

I stopped by to check up on you, my friend. Great to see all this activity on the Atlantic Coast Line. As always, fine work.

John,

I appreciate the kind words and support. I'll try to get you some photos for the Gazette.

This area is looking as I pictured it would. Later, when the small trackside details are added, it will be better.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com
  • Information