Started by postalkarl, July 29, 2020, 03:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Thanks buddy much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Guys:

The rafter tails and perlins have been added. Lot of work.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Karl.

They are full rafters, not tails.  I would also add rafter tails where the supporting gable walls are positioned, flush with the framing behind the cladding (including the gap in the lower row) and fly rafters attached to the underside of the purlins at their very extremities (not attached to the side of the wall) to support the roof.  This is how we always did it in the prototype. 

There are various ways of attaching the fly rafters in the prototype, but when the gable soffit is two foot wide or more it is common to have the top plate of the gable wall in line with the bottom of the rafters.  Outrigers are then attached to the side of the first rafter in and run at 90-degrees across the gable top plate and protrude by the width of the soffit minus the thickness of the fly rafter which is attached to the ends of the outrigers.  Dwangs are then cut and fitted down the rake of the gable wall to stop the outriggers twisting, and rafter tails are attached to the bottom outrigger, with the end of the gable wall top plate supporting them and stopping them droop.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey mark:

Thanks for all of that. All the roofs have rafter tails. I'm not A roofer and never ever put one on. so I'm not even sure what you are talking about. Sorry bout that. But thanks thanks for the info.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Thanks buddy much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Got A fair amount of work done today. Got the roofs finished. Used Paper Creek Weathered Corrugated roofing. It's one of my favorites. I really like his products.  Also put the rolled roofing on the shed roof. Also added the railing around the stair platform. On to the Chute Extensions. Here's A few pics. Hope she looks ok.

Karl

Oldguy

Looks really good.  So you're saying that you added all the rafters just to cover them up?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Good progress Karl.....looks great.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Bob Curt & Greg:

Thanks for the great compliments much appreciated.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

One side of the head frame is assembled. On to side two. Here's A pic.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Just finished building the minehead frame. Also redid the roof as it didn't match the head frame correctly. There are lots of parts in thss It to me 3 days to completely assemble it. Here's A photo. On to the hoist house.

Karl

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb