Red Hook Wharf

Started by craftsmankits, January 29, 2022, 04:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Quote from: craftsmankits on January 30, 2022, 11:09:12 PM
Well, that didn't take long.  Sold out, both domestic and international.  It will be back, but the demand, without a doubt, was there.  I wonder what other 'surprises' are in store?

Mark
Someone posted online Fos is only making batches of 26 or so at-a-time. Who knows 🤷‍♂️

Those that have always wanted one and didn't get it when first released better log to Fos website daily....

$70 increase over 10 years isn't too terribly bad.

Jaime 

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Janbouli on January 31, 2022, 11:40:15 AM
Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 31, 2022, 11:37:01 AM
Quote from: Janbouli on January 30, 2022, 12:34:10 PM
I have mixed feelings about re-running a limited edition , one side of me says limited is limited , the other says good because kits are meant to be built and not saved to make a profit on them. How do you all feel about this?
Well, it's nice to have the kit available. But I will always wonder in the back of my mind, " is this new giant limited edition Fos kit going to be available again later ...."

Jaime

The advantage of that is that prospectors won't be buying all the kits before builders can get a hand on them.
Where there is a will, there is a way.

Prospectors likely bought kits not included in the limited run.

Prospector - "Mr. kit maker, I'll for sure buy 25 of those 125 Giant Limited Kits. I'll send my money today".
Mr. Kit Maker - "Sure.  No worries. I can always make 25 more."

I'm not saying it happens. I'm saying it could happen.

Jaime

madharry

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 30, 2022, 09:46:59 AM
I have one sitting on the spare bed behind me.  Building it is in the near future for me.  I want it to be the focal point/anchor for a 2' x 4' module that might be the starting point for a small 2' x 8' (or more) switching layout.  I've been pondering the design though.  A bit of design paralysis so to speak.   ::)
Bob,
Attached is a copy of my Red Hook Bay trackplan. I hope this helps.
Mike

ReadingBob

Quote from: madharry on January 31, 2022, 12:21:28 PM
Quote from: ReadingBob on January 30, 2022, 09:46:59 AM
I have one sitting on the spare bed behind me.  Building it is in the near future for me.  I want it to be the focal point/anchor for a 2' x 4' module that might be the starting point for a small 2' x 8' (or more) switching layout.  I've been pondering the design though.  A bit of design paralysis so to speak.   ::)
Bob,
Attached is a copy of my Red Hook Bay trackplan. I hope this helps.
Mike

Thanks Mike!  That will definitely help.  I was going to refer back to your thread for inspiration.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

As to the discussion at hand I can understand both sides.  I don't buy kits for anything other than the fact I think they're really cool and I plan on building them all (I may have to live to 150 or so to accomplish that with what I have).  It doesn't really bother me when a limited run kit is released again at a later date although I can see how others might think differently and I fully respect that they might be upset about it. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Wondering how many model railroad craftsman kit builders there are in this wide world?  Do we number a hundred thousand, tens of thousands, or possibly just thousands?  (I can't imagine much less than that.)  Most of the other model railroading kit builders I know prefer plastic Walthers type kits.  That knowledge would surely have an effect on the relative wisdom of re-releasing old kits.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

Keep It Rusty

I think it's a great re-release for four reasons. Firstly, it's an awesome kit. Nothing else to it.

Secondly, it's in the name of celebration, therefore a one off. I know there will not be any re-releases of other kits.

Thirdly, this kit was premium ammo for scalpers on eBay. Anything to cut scalpers off at the neck is always going to be a good thing.

Finally, it's an awesome kit ;)

darrylhuffman

Very happy to see this one available again.

8 buildings for $400 is a bargain at $50 a building.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

deemery

The interesting thing about laser-cut kits is there isn't much 'economy of scale'.  So cranking out another 25 kits probably costs about the same per kit as the previous 100 kits. 

The people most hurt by re-running a limited kit are those who plan to resell theirs. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

hey Craftsman kits:

sound good. Enjoy it.

Karl

cuse

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on January 31, 2022, 01:58:14 PM
I think it's a great re-release for four reasons. Firstly, it's an awesome kit. Nothing else to it.

Secondly, it's in the name of celebration, therefore a one off. I know there will not be any re-releases of other kits.

Thirdly, this kit was premium ammo for scalpers on eBay. Anything to cut scalpers off at the neck is always going to be a good thing.

Finally, it's an awesome kit ;)

My thoughts exactly...it's a model railroad kit. No offense to speculators and resellers...but it's a model railroad kit. If more people are dying for them, let Doug make the money he deserves for his awesome designs. They can go play with bitcoin or something more traditional.