Campbell Scale Models Richmond Barrel Mfg Co

Started by Oldguy, October 25, 2019, 10:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Finally.  Got to add the last building end.  I didn't have any clamps long enough, so I wound up just turning it on end and added weights.  Hoping that they would be enough to hold the folded over siding in place.  It worked to a point.
Then it was a matter of  adding the short second story wall.  Here again, the long walls have the 1/8" overlap.  But at least I have clamps that will handle it.  At the same time I added some extra bracing.
Slowly working on the exterior stairways.  Here, I thought I'd check on their height.  Good grief.  Darn near spot on.  I'm not sure on adding the long stairway between the two landings.  I most likely will have to attach the two sets of landing, then add the long set.
While pondering that, I tacked to ventilator.  While the glue was setting, I check on it's placement on the roof and adding the angled slats.  How come the slats are all longer than the sides?  Hmmm.  I mistook the interior bracing as having to set in notches.  There are supposed to be no notches.  I guess I shouldn't have added them.  Luckily, the glued hadn't dried and it all came apart somewhat easily.    So I needed to make up two end pieces since these were messed up and then glue the interior supports. Amazing how well everything fits when one follows the instructions as written and not as interpreted.   Shown are the messed up pieces and glue drying.
While the ventilator bracing was drying, it was time to add the stair landing joists,
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Old Guy:

That's coming along nicely. Great progress.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Very nice modelling, Bob!   Looking good.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Thanks all for the support.

Started to work on the ventilator.  That little sucker has 27 pieces consisting of wood, cardboard, and plastic.  The it was a matter of seeing how it fits in the roof opening.  Oh good grief.  It doesn't fit on the long sides.  Well, this is going to be an issue as there is wood bracing underneath the opening edges.  I might be able to fudge a little something somewhere.
But before I can do something, I need to get the roof glued on.  A quick look at the fit, and I had a minor issue.  The wrapped portion of the siding is thicker that the flat siding.  Well, no kidding dummy.  So I took some time and removed the offending piece.  Now I can glue the roof on.  Interesting enough, the rust looking paint has a enough grip to keep the machinists blocks in place.

I might as well get the ventilator roof sections glued in place.   
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I managed to file away enough offending material to get the ventilator to sit decently.  Now it was time to glue on all the remaining roof cards.

Then onto deciding on the roof peak covering.  I decided to cut the remaining section of 6' high siding material into 2' wide strips, 3' long.  But first, I sprayed it with matte varnish to better hold the paint.  The Chopper made quick work of getting the material to length.  Next up how to bend the pieces.  A quick look into my plastic scarp box, I found the needed materials.  I then marked of a 1' deep line and glued a thin piece of plastic down the line.  Now it was a simple matter of holding the cap material and bending it.
Once the ridge caps glue had set, it was just a matter of trying to match the existing finish.  One note - I should have painted the caps gray first and then rusted them up.  As it is now, way too much shiny aluminum shows.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Next up was constructing the dock roof supports.  Nothing special here.  It is just a matter of keeping everything flat and aligned.  I went to a local train show and bough a couple of these small glue bottles.  One has Weldbond and the other Canopy Glue.
Once the supports had dried sufficiently, it was time to add the dock roof sections.  I was amazed just how strong those little supports are.
And while that was all drying it was time to futz with the rear set of stairs.  There are two landings with a connecting set of steps in between.  I was having some issues in getting th long set of steps to align with the lower landing.  Well, nuts.  The stair treads can not extend past the stringers.  Some quick nips with a sprue cutter and got that problem solved.  The it was a matter of re-checking the placement of the handrails.  This requires the stringer to be placed just inside the landing supports.  Just my luck.  I added a joist there.  Another quick snip of the stringer upper end and that issue is solved.  The last photo shows how it no aligns correctly, although not at it's correct height.  I also realized that I need to add a lower stringer end support on the lower landing.  A quick browse through left over cuttings had a perfect piece for gluing.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

rpdylan

great work Bob! I'm amazed the roof held up those weights!  Regarding the roof ventilator, its so true in modeling structures that a lot of work goes into getting things to fit properly on the roofs! this is where our modeling experience really kicks in, right?!
    Its all coming together so nicely, your build thread has been fun to follow!
Bob C.

postalkarl

richbeau

Just read through this build thread - great workmanship Bob! Makes me want to dig out a Campbell kit.  :)
--Rich

Oldguy

Curt, Bob C, Karl, and Rich thanks for the comments.
Finding myself on the down hill side of this build.  Doesn't seem all tat long ago I was cutting and painting siding panels.  In order to get the rear stairway set 9nto place, one must have set the lower, landing.  But if the lower landing is in place, one can't get the stairway installed,  So, it was a matter of super gluing the stairway and the lower landing in place at the same time.  While that was setting up, I had to raid the wood supply for some 2x4 material as I couldn't find the 1/16 x 1/32 supplied with the kit.  The Kappler Lumber material sure didn't want to take the A&I stain.  It was all a matter of cutting and fitting to get'er done.

While the rear stairs were drying, I was able to weather the ridge cap for the dock roof sections.

I found my supply of 3/8 gator foam board and mounted the building.  I did add a short set of stairs, which I couldn't do until now.
Basically, this is now complete.  Eventually, I will add some scenic dirt.
Thanks to all for following on my journey.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Bob, beautiful work in every respect--the finished structure is a showpiece.  It was good to see your techniques with an older kit turn out such nice results.  Thanks much for all your work in posting all the pics and providing this build thread.
--George

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

That is coming out just beautifully. Love your colors they really enhance the model.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb