Showcase Miniatures Fred's One Stop Gas

Started by nycjeff, March 17, 2024, 08:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Continuing on...

IMG_0328.JPG

This gas station is a styrene City Classics kit and this is an area that I have wanted to upgrade with a craftsmankit for some time. I've looked longingly at many gas station kits, but when I saw Fred's One Stop, I knew this was the one for this area.

IMG_1060.JPG

So the gas station and scenery are gone- down to the plywood shelf.

IMG_1061.JPG

I cut a piece of Homosote, or as Home Depot calls it here in the desert "sound deadening board", to fit the space and glued it down.

IMG_1062.JPG

I used drywall joint compound around the perimeter to blend the edges into the contours of the surrounding area. The blue tape is placed on the edge of the road to protect the road surface.

IMG_1063.JPG

I also put some blue tape along the top edge of my fascia board and then painted everything with a brown base color.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

IMG_1064.JPG

The gas station has been put into it's place and I have done some basic scenery around the edges to blend it into it's new home.

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

I'm very happy with how my "new" gas station looks on the layout. I still have some more scenery work to do and some more detail castings to add, but for now I'm going to call this build finished.

This Showcase Miniatures kit was a pleasant surprise for me to build. This was my first all fiberboard , slot and tab kit. I was very impressed with the laser cut accuracy of the parts. Everything fit together very well, with only a few minor adjustments that I'm sure were my fault. I would recommend this kit to anyone who has some prior experience building craftsman kits. This is not a beginners kit.

Jason Jenson did the build for the manufacturer and the pictures that come with the kit are of his build. He did his usual fine job. I was looking at pictures of Cliff Powers new layout and came upon his version of this kit, if you want a look at another modeler's version.

That's it for now, on to the next one.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

GPdemayo

Looks great on the layout Jeff.....well done.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

That looks good and the angle makes it fill the scene quite nicely.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Well sited on the layout.  Nice scene. 

Jeff

nycjeff

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 19, 2024, 08:08:11 AMLooks great on the layout Jeff.....well done.  8)

Hello Greg, thanks for looking in and for the kind words.

Quote from: deemery on April 19, 2024, 08:49:09 AMThat looks good and the angle makes it fill the scene quite nicely.

dave

Hello Dave, I was worried that I would have trouble fitting the build into my space. I was forced to place it at an angle, but I think that it worked out well in the end.

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 19, 2024, 09:19:48 AMWell sited on the layout.  Nice scene.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, thank you. I'm very happy with the kit and I think it makes a nice addition to the layout.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona