ITLA Modular Industry

Started by Zephyrus52246, April 07, 2024, 08:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandOGuy

Jeff,
Thanks in advance for the thread.
ITLA kits have fascinated me for quite some time, so broke down and bought one at Springfield this winter. Now all I need is the courage to try and build it. (Know that's backward.)
Thanks for you documentation.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

MartyO

Jeff,

Building one of the ITLA structures can be a mind blowing adventure. There are sooo many options of how to build them and they all will look great.

I have built one and have another on the shelf to fill a space. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Marty

Zephyrus52246

Hi, Tom.   I haven't done much kitbashing, so this is new territory for me.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Hope I can help move you to building one of these kits, BandOGuy.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for looking in, Marty.  I have built one of their kits and have two more in the stash. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I forgot to post a picture of the two "add ons" that go into the areas where the large open areas on the front wall go.  One is a doorway and the other, an open loading dock with some crates. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Again, the main painting of this is with spray cans.  The instructions suggest first painting everything black, and then the brick portions.  The windows were to be black, so they and the brick portions were attached to a baking sheet and sprayed in the airbrush booth.  

Zephyrus52246

The windows had many spots "blanked out".  I thought there were too many, so some where removed (and saved) before painting.  I can add these in other colors if I want.  the window parts were removed and the bricks sprayed with red oxide primer. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The concrete areas were sprayed with camo tan.  I couldn't resist putting them together to see how it looked on the layout. I think this will do.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

It's hard to see, but in the corner, one edge of the front wall didn't get painted.   ::)   This will require some touch up.  I also forgot to put on the "cap" to the wall.  For this you use the left edge of the pieces the pilasters were removed from.  Pretty good fit.  Clever of the ITLA folks to think of this.  That's why I save all the "leftovers" until I'm finished with a kit, many of the pieces come in handy. 

Jeff

deemery

I love the look in the mock-up.  Like you, I can't resist tacking wall parts together to see the result on the layout....

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Dave.  It does look better than the cardboard box.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

So things started to go a little wonky.  The corner pieces on the mock up didn't line up.  One set is absolutely even with the edge and the other isn't.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I managed to get most of this pulled back, but the wood started to tear, so I reglued it and it's more reasonably closer.  The brick pieces dried nicely.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I have a Vallejo color that's a near match for the spray camo tan, but I decided to mask off all the brick areas, respray the tan and it turned out well.

Jeff