FSM Kit #210 - Icing Platform - 2022 Build Challenge (1)

Started by S&S RR, January 02, 2022, 09:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restocarp

One more photo showing the office for the complex.

Matt

NEMMRRC

Without doubt a true railroad classic.

This one would look great anywhere. Great choice.

My buddy Piezcyk scratched this one for me over 20 years ago. He used plexiglass squares for the ice. He took a small welding torch, lit it and then flicked the ice squares and to this day they still look wet.

Looking forward to how this one will turn out.

Jaime

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: restocarp on January 05, 2022, 08:12:56 AM
I really like this kit and hope to acquire and build it some day. I also like the small shed and auxiliary platform that George added the the end of his model on the F&SM.

I am looking forward to watching your build.
Matt

Matt

Thank you for the reference photographs - I spent the morning clearing my detail workbench for this build.  I'm going to take a look at the possibilities for some scratch built support structures to complement this build in my location on the layout. Stay tuned.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 06, 2022, 09:30:27 AM
Without doubt a true railroad classic.

This one would look great anywhere. Great choice.

My buddy Piezcyk scratched this one for me over 20 years ago. He used plexiglass squares for the ice. He took a small welding torch, lit it and then flicked the ice squares and to this day they still look wet.

Looking forward to how this one will turn out.

Jaime

Jaime

Thank you for following along, it's great to see you back on the forum.  Keep telling yourself life is too short for all work and know play.  Thank you for the tip on the ice blocks - I will give it a try and post the results.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
Did the freezing cold temps help you decide on this FSM build ???  ;D ;D ;D
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on January 06, 2022, 11:16:11 AM
John,
Did the freezing cold temps help you decide on this FSM build ??? ;D ;D ;D
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for following along - I think the freezing cold temperatures are keeping me inside at my workbench.  ;) ;D   I found some pictures at a local restaurant of ice cutting operation that happened every winter on the lake by my house. Ice was a big deal back in the days before refrigeration and electricity. My Grandparents used it until the late 1950's on their farm in Northern Michigan.
John Siekirk

Jim Donovan

Just caught up and following along. I think I have this kit too.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: Jim Donovan on January 11, 2022, 06:49:21 AM
Just caught up and following along. I think I have this kit too.

Jim D

Jim

Thank you for following along - I have a couple more days work on the Branchline Water Tower and then I get going on this build as my primary project.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

So I got a little side tracked on this build and built the FSM Water Tower #240 first, but I'm back at it.  My workbench has been cleaned and the box is back off the shelf and opened on my workbench.  Step one spread all the parts out on the workbench and see what is in the box. The detail castings have been sent off to the paint booth for priming.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Somewhere on the forum we had a discussion about the "before laser" kits that George put out.  This is one of them.  All of the window and door openings where cut out with a table saw. The builder had to finish the horizontal cut.  I use a razor blade to do this.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

So many sticks in that box.   ;D  Were all the parts hand cut on a saw?  I thought they were stamped out on some kind of machine.

Jeff