Nothing to see here..just some background buildings...

Started by Rollin, March 10, 2024, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Hello Rollin, that will be quite an impressive town when done. That big FOS kit will take some work, but the end result will be worth all the effort.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

MartyO

Marty

Rollin

Axle Road has a total of 9 and a half buildings, the half is a fenced-in storage yard between two structures. My intended footprint includes all but one of these structures. The instructions take you thru these one by one, starting with some of the smaller, simpler builds. I'm usually working on two of these at once, so I can have assemblies or paint drying while I work on another section. For simplicity and continuity, let me present these one at a time.

The first one we'll look at is Krug Auto Collision. Here's the cardboard mockup next to the actual walls:

With bracing applied:

Rollin

Now we'll do a quick application of A&I wash:

After sponge painting the walls, I used my magnetic jig to keep things square:

Rollin

It can be a little tricky when you have an inside corner to glue that leaves a section hanging out:

This little wing where the front door is located had no bracing and really wanted to curl up before it was attached to the small side wall.

nycjeff

Hello Rollin, you're off to a great start. Don't you love the magnetic jig ? I use mine all the time and can't believe how I used to assemble walls before I got it.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

Rollin

More positioning in the magnetic jig gets all the walls:

You can see how the little extension joins the main building with a tab into a slot on the wall

Rollin

The windows in the back are plastic, but the front is made of layers of chipboard, as is the big door.  Add some signage and the whole effect is pretty good. ( The roof has not been glued in place yet.)

Rollin

The next building up is the Dixie Cafe. It's a very simple wedge shape. Here are the walls

There's a vey big painted sign to put on one wall, and the roof has a lot of interesting detail. The vent is a casting, and the Air conditioner is a 3D printed part. Also a 3D sign which mounts on some thin frames. Just like Jeff and his gas station signs, I'm going to set that aside for installation much later.

Rollin

The flat roof only overhangs the wall by a fraction, and it just felt too thin. So when I was adding bracing to keep it nice and flat, I decided to add some extra trim along the edge.

I really like how this gives some definition to the edge of the roof. Also, the sign on the side of the building looks about right after I treated it with a light wash of white paint. Just faded enough!

Jim Donovan

Came out great. Love the roof and the wall signs.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

Well done Rollin.....is the HVAC package unit for the roof from a manufacturer or did you do it yourself?  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Rollin

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 25, 2024, 07:47:10 AMWell done Rollin.....is the HVAC package unit for the roof from a manufacturer or did you do it yourself?  8)
There is one small box in the Axle Road kit that contains all the 3D printed parts, from a very large roof assembly to very fine detail parts. The AC unit is one of these.