FOS The Terminal

Started by Opa George, February 11, 2019, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amagic41

Quote from: Opa George on May 14, 2019, 05:29:37 AM
Quote from: Todd W. on May 13, 2019, 10:48:55 PM
George!  brilliant!  1/16 u-channel!  perfect for gutters!  love that idea!  where do I get u-channel so I can load up?  thank You!!

I buy it from The Station, on 9th Street in New Cumberland. Although their scratch building supplies are limited, they stock a huge inventory of strip wood. It is not out on display--it would take up most of their display space--you have to ask for it.
--George

Todd Northeastern also has it under 1/16 channel
https://northeasternscalelumber.com/shop/structural-shape/116cha.html
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks just wonderful.

Karl

ACL1504

George,

Great build and very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Thanks for the comments, Karl and Tom.  Ken, thanks also for that link for anyone without access to an LHS without scratchbuilding supplies. I feel lucky to have one within a few miles, but they are getting rare.

On the 1/16th channel as a rain gutter, I should note that rain gutters prior to World War II were mostly half-round. I did find a few pics of squared gutters going way back to colonial times, but the half-round predominated.  Once manufacturing picked up just after the Second World War, the squared gutters took over, however.

Still, I like the look of my solution even though they are the exception rather than the rule. I think I'll explain it away as a local supplier's preference.  ;)

George

postalkarl

Hey George:

Just as an FYI. I was A house painter at one point in my life. We did house the the rain gutters were wood and built into the rooves. Had to treat them with Linseed Oil.
karl

Opa George

Quote from: postalkarl on May 16, 2019, 09:51:11 AM
Hey George:

Just as an FYI. I was A house painter at one point in my life. We did house the the rain gutters were wood and built into the rooves. Had to treat them with Linseed Oil.
karl

Karl, thanks for that information--a good reminder that there are lots of types. Do you know how old they were?  I'm wondering how many years that type of gutter would last, given proper treatment of course.
--George

MAP

Beautiful work George!  Been following along as well.  Great idea using the U-channel for gutters.
Mark

Todd W.

Quote from: Amagic41 on May 14, 2019, 09:57:41 AM
George!  brilliant!  1/16 u-channel!  perfect for gutters!  love that idea!  where do I get u-channel so I can load up?  thank You!!

I buy it from The Station, on 9th Street in New Cumberland. Although their scratch building supplies are limited, they stock a huge inventory of strip wood. It is not out on display--it would take up most of their display space--you have to ask for it.
--George

George-  Thank You!  I will have to get down there.  Haven't been to the Station in over a year.  Usually stop there for woodland scenic scenery stuff when I run short.  Dude, I didn't know you were in Harrisburg area!  You, Brett and I will have to get together for lunch or something and talk shop!

Kenny-  Thanks Brother!  I will check there and order in bigger quantity if I manage to make the gutters look good and want to start adding them to builds.  I just feel it is a feature that is missing on so many, and I never would have known if it wasn't for my brother the non-modeler saying something...lol
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

Opa George

Quote from: Todd W. on May 22, 2019, 09:00:18 AM
Quote from: Amagic41 on May 14, 2019, 09:57:41 AM

--George

George-  Thank You!  I will have to get down there.  Haven't been to the Station in over a year.  Usually stop there for woodland scenic scenery stuff when I run short.  Dude, I didn't know you were in Harrisburg area!  You, Brett and I will have to get together for lunch or something and talk shop!

Kenny-  Thanks Brother!  I will check there and order in bigger quantity if I manage to make the gutters look good and want to start adding them to builds.  I just feel it is a feature that is missing on so many, and I never would have known if it wasn't for my brother the non-modeler saying something...lol

Todd, yeah, we should get together this summer. I'll message you guys through your website later once my hours ease up when school ends. --George

Opa George

I'm close enough to finishing "The Terminal" to call it finished, although do we ever truly "finish" a kit?  I know I go back constantly to add stuff.  I still need to build the horse paddocks and add ground scenery, plus I have two Jordan buses to build and add. 

Below is the market building from the front.  It's a busy day, as you can see.

Here is a three-quarter view. The foreground track is an abandoned track that will hold a rusting locomotive eventually.

The market in location next to the livery stable.  Horse paddocks will likely take up the space where the milk tank truck is parked.

Overall shot of The Terminal, with the shoe factory, auto repair, and restaurant in the background.

Other end of the market, showing the alley entrance to the bus station.

Overall shot again with a better view of how everything fits together.

Longer view from the other side showing the entire kit, with the Bar Mills F&SM Tribute Kit #1 across the street.

Just pics today. Tomorrow or later I'll post my summary of the build, things to watch for, what I really liked and etc.
--George

rpdylan

wow, the Canal Street Market building looks fantastic! Well done! The weathering and detail, roof and wall shingles,,,,, you do great work!  That market building could be a kit on its own!
Bob C.

Dennis Bourey

You did a Beautiful job George!!!!! 

Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dave K.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻Bravo!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Zephyrus52246

EricQuebec