FSM Bartholow Coal

Started by chooch41, February 17, 2014, 10:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooch41

Thanks guys. Today I hope to get out to the garage and cut up some plywood for a base for this kit. It will be kewl to place the buildings and really see it come together........

Brad

chooch41

A quick update on where I am at. The base has been cut. I cut out a hole for the coal dump to be installed. I have started the coal dump today. I have painted it polly scale concrete and will wait 24 hours to start weathering it. that's it for now....

chooch41

I was able to get at the bench today. I installed the stairs on the coal bunker and dug out some track. Not sure if i will use a piece of flex or hand lay..... What do you guys think? Got the col dump weathered a bit as well.....

ak-milw

I would use the flex, but then I am lazy.

8)

chooch41

Thanks Andy. For the record, my wife thinks I'm lazy as well..... ;) ;)

chooch41

The main structure is now sitting on the heavy duty bents. Careful alignment is needed to get the coal chute to line up with the coal pit for the rail cars. Scenery is coming soon....... YIKES! Oh yes and a couple of pics of the track placement....

GPdemayo

Brad:

The structure is looking great.

Go for the hand laid, that spike sticking in thingy from Micro Mark makes it a snap and you'll love the results.

Keep the pictures coming.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

chooch41

Greg unfortunately I have a piece of flex glued in and have started ballasting and am figuring out the scenery. I'm thinking I will have to practise some handlaying before committing to a diorama. Stay tuned for more updates this weekend....

Brad

Janbouli

Brad , great build , I have this on my to do list so your thread is really helpful.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PHQRR

Great looking build going on there!   8)

S&S RR

The build is looking great. I will be checking back to watch your progress.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Twist67

Hi,
great looking build and nice weathering on the structures....I would go with handlaid track......

Regards,Chris

postalkarl

Hi Brad:

Looks great so far.
Karl