Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

Looking great John, your whole layout is a treat to watch.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: engine909 on September 28, 2017, 10:48:58 PM
John, Great layout. Also, very nice work on a kit I built in the early 70's. Not as good.
ed

Ed

Thanks for the kind words - our modeling techniques have changed a bit from the 70's and it gives some of these older kits a new look.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on September 29, 2017, 03:29:29 AM

Jan

Thanks for the kind words and for following along - I'm having a great time building this layout.  I have a lot of years worth of work to get it even close to where I want it to go.  I hope you will stick around for the ride. Even better, would be to see you take a trip over here to see it.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
Your Isaac's Coal build is turning out great. First time that someone has taken two FSM Jacob's Coal kits and made into a very unique looking structure.  8) 8) 8)
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Janbouli

Quote from: S&S RR on September 29, 2017, 08:29:52 AM

Jan

Thanks for the kind words and for following along - I'm having a great time building this layout.  I have a lot of years worth of work to get it even close to where I want it to go.  I hope you will stick around for the ride. Even better, would be to see you take a trip over here to see it.

Don't be surprised if in the next few years I do come and visit, a trip to the US is on my list for within the next 5 years , that is if I can get off work for a month to make the trip worthwhile . Lots of places and most of all  people I want to visit.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on September 29, 2017, 02:22:11 PM
John,
Your Isaac's Coal build is turning out great. First time that someone has taken two FSM Jacob's Coal kits and made into a very unique looking structure.  8) 8) 8)
Tommy

Tommy

Thanks for the kind words.  I don't know if it's the first time - but I've never seen it done this way.  It works great in the spot I have on the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on September 29, 2017, 05:06:49 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on September 29, 2017, 08:29:52 AM

Jan

Don't be surprised if in the next few years I do come and visit, a trip to the US is on my list for within the next 5 years , that is if I can get off work for a month to make the trip worthwhile . Lots of places and most of all  people I want to visit.

Jan

I hope you find a way to make it happen.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made a lot of progress on my Isaac's Coal build, today.  I will post some progress pictures in a few minutes.  First, I would like to share a tool that I have found very useful on my last couple of builds.  When I bought my table saw one of the accessaries was this bag of brass shims to use in setting up the rip fence. You put the square brass shim between the blade and the rip fence to set the board width for the cut. The set comes from 1/16 inch up to 1 inch.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

So it works great for that application but I'm using them to set rafters, steps, and any other application where I want to evenly space boards for gluing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here I'm using it to setup the spacing for the runs on the latter up the conveyer chute on my Isaac's coal build.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have used this technique with a piece of strip wood for years - but with the brass the glue comes right off as I wipe it with a paper towel or with a knife if I forget and let it dry. Just thought I would pass it along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Now for a few progress pictures of Isaac's Coal as I add more details.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk