Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

Great work as always John. Another fantastic addition. I, for one, would love to see the EXPO show up near enough to visit the "World's Heaviest Layout".  ;D

John

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Cuse on October 04, 2017, 06:56:45 AM
Great work as always John. Another fantastic addition. I, for one, would love to see the EXPO show up near enough to visit the "World's Heaviest Layout".  ;D

John

Thanks John

I think we need an EXPO North and a EXPO South to go along with the EXPO East.  The Narrow Gauge Convention has the West covered for the next few years.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Typical day working on the layout, today.  I worked on three different projects.  First, I got started on the ground cover for the Isaac's Coal build.  I want to complete as much as possible, before moving it to the layout to blend it in with the scenery.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I thought I better take a picture of the backside of this structure - once it's on the layout it will not be visible.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

After the paint dried, I glued it in position.  Next step will be to weather it before I add the posts and the roof.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

My third project for the day, was to start my scratch build S&S RR Locomotive Works.  I cut the base board out of gator board and started to layout the positions for the walls. This is going to be a big project - the structure will be detailed inside and out. This will be a companion building to my Stone Roundhouse that I built a few years ago (see volume 1 of this thread). I also started pouring the castings for the lower walls. I will have pictures tomorrow when there's something to see (the castings need to setup in the molds).  The wall casting for this build are highly modified versions of the original Bob VanGelder Stone Roundhouse that I made from castings that George Sellios gave me a few years ago.  They are the same castings that I used for my Stone Roundhouse.  George had a couple castings left over from his Stone Roundhouse build and gave these castings to me, with Bob Vangelder's blessing. I just love this Stone Roundhouse and the model railroad history that it represents.  The original Stone Roundhouse on John Allen's layout was the inspiration for this structure.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few photographs of the base board and my initial layout of the casting for the lower level of the S&S RR Locomotive Works. I have also included a picture of the box that George Sellios gave me the casting in.  Yes - the box also had some left over castings from the brick Roundhouse - another project for another day. This will be the box that I keep - red or yellow - after the kit is built.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This is the gator foam base that I will build the model on.  I will also have a 3/4 inch exterior plywood baseboard underneath it. I built the Roundhouse out of hydrocal - this model will be made out of resin.  You can see the 9 stall Stone Roundhouse in the background. On my Brambell's build I made the stone wall out of the original metal castings from George's FSM kit, along with hydrocal and resin castings side by side.  I can't tell the difference after they are painted and weathered.  I like the idea of having resin casting in a foreground building like this one, just incase they get bumped. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In this picture I have the resin castings stacked in the approximate location they will be in the finished model.  I'm just doing an initial check to make sure I don't need more castings. The fitting will begin soon.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The Locomotive Works will have two repair bays on the right and two machine shop bays on the left. The second story of this structure will house the Engineering and Administrative Offices of the Superior & Seattle Railroad.

Notice that the original castings for the walls of the Stone Roundhouse were rectangular and make a great high bay first story (in the kit that Bob VanGelder put out the walls were tapered for the pitch of the roundhouse roof.
John Siekirk