Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I took a couple progress pictures of the projects I've been working on for the layout.  First, I extended the benchwork in the waterfront area.  This adds about 2 feet by 4 feet for more waterfront structures. As with all of the other areas of the layout, the plywood can be removed with a few screws and serves as the baseboard for the structures. The plywood footprint becomes the design footprint for the structures.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I'm also working on painting and weathering detail castings.  Here is a few castings that will be placed in the scrap yard beside the Locomotive Works. I started by placing the castings in acid to etch them black, I then use three different shades of rust chalk to finish the coloring process.

John Siekirk

vinceg

Quote from: S&S RR on July 16, 2018, 05:27:01 PM
I took a couple progress pictures of the projects I've been working on for the layout.  First, I extended the benchwork in the waterfront area.  This adds about 2 feet by 4 feet for more waterfront structures. As with all of the other areas of the layout, the plywood can be removed with a few screws and serves as the baseboard for the structures. The plywood footprint becomes the design footprint for the structures.

Beautiful rock work. Reminiscent of the old Gorre and Daphetid.

I love majestic rock faces. Somebody remind me again why I'm modeling the Illinois Central, Chicago District?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on July 16, 2018, 05:44:26 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 16, 2018, 05:27:01 PM

Beautiful rock work. Reminiscent of the old Gorre and Daphetid.

I love majestic rock faces. Somebody remind me again why I'm modeling the Illinois Central, Chicago District?

Vince

Thank you for the kind words - as a student of John Allen's work I appreciate the reference to the Gorre & Daphetid. The rock work in this area has the base acrylic paint and will look even better when their detailed. I have some modifications to make and a trestle to install for the Narrow Gauge line. The workbench project has but me in the woodworking mood, so I'm completing some of the benchwork modifications while I have the tools out.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 16, 2018, 06:34:57 PM
Great looking modeling.

Curt

Thank you for the kind words. I hope to have more progress to report later in the summer.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  I have been away from the layout for the past couple weeks. We were blessed with our first Granddaughter and Grandma and Grandpa were helping out watching our Grandson. I came back to about a dozen projects in various phases of completion. I will be working my way through the list in the coming days and posting pictures as I complete them. First up, completing the drawers in my workbench so I can clean up my workbenches.
John Siekirk

EricQuebec

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on July 28, 2018, 07:19:41 AM
Can't wait to see the pictures....
Eric

Eric

Thanks for following along.  I will post a picture of the workbench project this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I completed the workbench project today. ;D  This is the same rolling workbench that you have seen in the pictures on this thread.  I added 11 heavy duty drawers - 3/4 inch pine, with 100 lb. ball bearing slides. The plan is to have all of my building materials, scratch building supplies, etc. all in one place. So I don't spend half my time looking under the layout. The drawers on the left side are 25 inches deep (so I can store the clapboard I got from George Sellios and the special stone and brick sections I had made by Monster Models). The drawers on the right are 18 inches deep.

Most of my buildups are done on this bench and then I move them to my other workbench for detailing. I also incorporated a sewing cabinet that my Dad made for my Mother into the upper left. It is 60 or 70 years old but is very functional.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Tomorrow, I will be loading it up and getting it ready for the next build. FSM 295, Fox Run Milling.
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: S&S RR on July 27, 2018, 07:46:54 PM
Update:  I have been away from the layout for the past couple weeks. We were blessed with our first Granddaughter and Grandma and Grandpa were helping out watching our Grandson. I came back to about a dozen projects in various phases of completion. I will be working my way through the list in the coming days and posting pictures as I complete them. First up, completing the drawers in my workbench so I can clean up my workbenches.

John,
Congratulations on your first Grand Daughter !   :)
Thanks for sharing all the layout updates, your organization skills, and know your open house next year will be a big hit !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Dave K.

That is really great how you included your dad's cabinetry into yours. They'll always be looking over your shoulder as you work!   Your thread continues to inspire.

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on July 28, 2018, 11:51:08 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on July 27, 2018, 07:46:54 PM

John,
Congratulations on your first Grand Daughter !   :)
Thanks for sharing all the layout updates, your organization skills, and know your open house next year will be a big hit !
Tommy

Tommy

Thanks - I'm enjoying being a Grandpa. Also, thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up too.
John Siekirk