Weathering HO scale plastic windows

Started by rosyfft, October 15, 2018, 11:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave K.

vinceg

That's pretty clever, Karl. I like it a lot. Does anybody know if the correction tape comes in colors other than white? White is good, but other colors would be interesting, too. I did a quick search and found quite a few multi-colored dispensers, but I am not sure from the descriptions whether the tape is colored.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Rail and Tie

Quote from: Karl O on October 18, 2018, 05:08:45 PM

Hello,

I've tried pretty much all the methods that have been mentioned but the one I like best is using typewriter correction paper burnished on with a dull pencil. It takes about 10 seconds to do a window or door and if you don't like the look lift it off with a piece of scotch tape and do it again. Here's a Tichy window I did a few minutes ago. Keep in mind this window is 9/16"(.5625)x11/16" (.6875). I like the look but that's just my opinion...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Ever since I saw this technique by Karl on "the other site", I have been searching the stationary stores of every small town I visit. I have never found the sheets that you have, but did find the correction tape and buy out what ever I can when I see it.  Any body have a source of the stuff in sheets?

Karl, your work is always awesome and inspires me to model things!!!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Karl O

Quote from: vinceg on October 18, 2018, 06:50:54 PM
That's pretty clever, Karl. I like it a lot. Does anybody know if the correction tape comes in colors other than white? White is good, but other colors would be interesting, too. I did a quick search and found quite a few multi-colored dispensers, but I am not sure from the descriptions whether the tape is colored.

Hello,

Save your money, the new stuff just doesn't work the same as what I'm using. I think I've tried most all of them and none of them give the same results as the old Ko-Rec-Type I'm using. The colored correction tape dispensers are just that - a colored holder with white tape in them. That's just it - it's tape not a correction filler like Ko-Rec-Type (or Copy, almost the same stuff as Type).

As for your question about colors, Ko-Rec-Type was available in several colors. I have 8 different colors including a nice pewter, dark grey and olive. You can see the olive color on a building (Choppers Barber Shop) on my recent build. It's more like a yellow than an olive green??? Old maybe? Also, I've had some success dyeing the sheets with shoe dyes and drawing inks.

Keep in mind the product I'm using hasn't been made for many years - most of my stash is from the 1970's when people actually used typewriters. It is getting harder to find the old stuff.

There is also a product called transfer paper (loew-Cornell) but save your dough on that one, too. It works like Ko-Rec-Type but has no where near the density of Ko-Rec-Type. It does work OK for small graffiti scribbles on a fence or something but that's about all I've done with it.

That's about it,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

NEMMRRC

Great ideas !

I once managed to get a faded look by lightly mixing acrylic paints. I used more of the trim color and little of the "wood" color. When I mixed the two I didn't do a good job so as to still see the "wood" color swirled in. When you brush the mixture you get a faded look for the trim color. I stumbled upon this by accident. The "wood" color can also be a different color of the layer under the trim color.

One other method is to use paper windows (not the glass part of course) and in your favorite photo manipulation program fade in the "wood" color on the printed window. I read how some modelers use this technique on painted paper brick wall.

Jaime

GPdemayo

Good grief Karl.....I thought White-Out went out with typewriters.  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Quote from: GPdemayo on October 20, 2018, 12:28:31 PM
There's a joke about how you know "group you want to insult" has been using your computer?  There's white-out on the screen!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dave K.

GPdemayo

Quote from: deemery on October 21, 2018, 06:17:50 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on October 20, 2018, 12:28:31 PM
There's a joke about how you know "group you want to insult" has been using your computer?  There's white-out on the screen!

dave

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Karl O

Hello,

I'm working on a new project and doing the windows and doors using pewter colored Ko-Rec-Type.

I brush painted the windows with craft paint diluted with blue windshield fluid and have never had a problem with brush marks...here's a painted window and the window after applying the colored Ko-Rec-Type. I still have to do the inside edge of the sill on this window.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Lynnb

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Karl O on October 20, 2018, 11:21:15 AM
Quote from: vinceg on October 18, 2018, 06:50:54 PM

Hello,

Save your money, the new stuff just doesn't work the same as what I'm using. I think I've tried most all of them and none of them give the same results as the old Ko-Rec-Type I'm using. The colored correction tape dispensers are just that - a colored holder with white tape in them. That's just it - it's tape not a correction filler like Ko-Rec-Type (or Copy, almost the same stuff as Type).

As for your question about colors, Ko-Rec-Type was available in several colors. I have 8 different colors including a nice pewter, dark grey and olive. You can see the olive color on a building (Choppers Barber Shop) on my recent build. It's more like a yellow than an olive green??? Old maybe? Also, I've had some success dyeing the sheets with shoe dyes and drawing inks.

Keep in mind the product I'm using hasn't been made for many years - most of my stash is from the 1970's when people actually used typewriters. It is getting harder to find the old stuff.

There is also a product called transfer paper (loew-Cornell) but save your dough on that one, too. It works like Ko-Rec-Type but has no where near the density of Ko-Rec-Type. It does work OK for small graffiti scribbles on a fence or something but that's about all I've done with it.

That's about it,

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl

You have got me started on a mission.  Last summer when my mother's basement flooded I discovered that she still had my typewriter from college. I didn't open the case (it didn't get wet), so maybe, I have a stash. I used to go through that white correction tape by the case. I could type fast but not accurate. I believe, my thesis in Grad. school was the first one produced at Michigan Tech. using a word processor in 1982.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad