The 2019 "Tom Schwarz Winter Build Challenge"

Started by Raymo, November 12, 2018, 09:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

OK Kids, Here are the rules; Runs from January 1st to April 15th. BUILD SOMETHING, Anything you want, buildings, a boat, vehicles, freight cars, kit bash, full diorama, any scale, just do a detailed build thread on it for other modelers to use for reference or inspiration! If you can't get it done in time, NO BIGGY! finish it up when you can! Last year Tom had 3 kits done while some of us were staining the stripwood, that's OK too.. If you want to start now that's OK but try not to post photo's till after the 1st of JANUARY.. That's it!! If you want to use this thread to show people what your planning, go ahead! Then do your build thread with the heading 2019 Winter Challenge "kit name here"... Now let see them shelf orphan's!

Raymo

This is my choice, A memorial kit for a memorial build challenge....

jerryrbeach

Dan,

Great choice!

Count me in, have a couple kits in mind, not sure which one I'll choose. 
Jerry

S&S RR

Perfect timing - I'm in T. Schwarz Foundry (aka Sewall's) will be my build. See you in January.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

I'm in as well. I'll be building KC's Workshop Cameron Street Apartments.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 12, 2018, 10:38:36 AM
I'm in as well. I'll be building KC's Workshop Cameron Street Apartments.

Tom ;D

Betcha he covers the windows of one of those store fronts in plywood and paints smoke stains on the front.

-slim  8)

ACL1504

Slim,

Nope, you are getting your own smoke shop.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

I have an older FSM coal dealer that I might dig out for this.  There are two spots on the layout where I could put it.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

vinceg

I'll be in....just gotta decide which do to. The next on my list was Dexter's Dead End -- I know it's kinda big and has been done a lot on various forums. But, it's the next logical one in my sequence. Will give it some thought.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Dave K.

I'll be doing Wiley...er, Schwarz...Waterproofing.

vinceg

Nice choice, Dave. I love the character of Doug's kits.
Vince

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Raymo on November 12, 2018, 09:23:14 AM
This is my choice, A memorial kit for a memorial build challenge....
Fantastic choice !!!!

I would do the same but I don't want to be a copy cat. Plus I already said I'd find a shelf orphan and rescue it.

So this is what I am going to build, the Wells Fargo & Co building in Columbia, CA in 1857 by Classic Miniatures - CM7. This kit is so ragged the box is waterlogged and mildewed. It screams "PLEASE BUILD ME !!".

Anyone wanting to buy a kit like it can do so on the 'Bay (https://www.ebay.ch/itm/Vtg-HO-Classic-Miniatures-Wells-Fargo-Express-Office-Kit-in-Original-Box-CM-7-/382595618261).  Original box  ;D

Jaime

deemery

Grandt Line did castings for this structure.  The original kits required you to do A Lot of cutting and layering of cardstock.  Which version do you have?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

NEMMRRC

Quote from: deemery on November 12, 2018, 08:04:40 PM
Grandt Line did castings for this structure.  The original kits required you to do A Lot of cutting and layering of cardstock.  Which version do you have?

dave
I have the Historical Scale Miniatures version with a Classic Miniatures sticker obscuring the original logos. I believe this is the version that came over in The Mayflower  ;D

Indeed this kit requires the modeler to build the brickwork from cardstock. But I don't want to steal my own thunder so stay tuned....

Jaime

vinceg

So this is what I am going to build, the Wells Fargo & Co building in Columbia, CA in 1857 by Classic Miniatures - CM7. This kit is so ragged the box is waterlogged and mildewed. It screams "PLEASE BUILD ME !!".

Anyone wanting to buy a kit like it can do so on the 'Bay (https://www.ebay.ch/itm/Vtg-HO-Classic-Miniatures-Wells-Fargo-Express-Office-Kit-in-Original-Box-CM-7-/382595618261).  Original box  ;D

Jaime

That sure is a honey of a kit, Jaime. Feels like we're going to have a Charlie-Brown's-dead-stick-turns-into-a-beautiful-Christmas-tree moment coming  :)
Vince