2019 Winter Schwarz Challenge: Monster Modelworks Brick Freight background house

Started by BandOGuy, January 01, 2019, 06:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandOGuy

Okay, you shamed me into this.
I've got a bunch of partially done craftsman kits somewhere around the basement, partially unpacked or undiscovered. Sad confession: never completed a craftsman kit nor built a layout, but 2019 is the challenge year to change all of that. I looked at some of the rest of the stash, but this one comes with great directions and a lot of back resources.
First step is to figure out how to post photos here. And the second step is to ask for comments and criticisms. This is going to be a learning experience, and to quote the infamous Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing".
Good luck to all the other builders in this journey. Hope your posts are not copyrighted as I may be stealing some ideas and techniques.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Opa George

Hi, Guy,
I'll be following your build. I have been interested in the Monster Modelworks products but have yet to try them. It will be interesting and instructive to see one of their kits being built.
--George

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

You wanted pictures?

So this is where it really begins. Finding something, anything in this mess is not likely. So that's step 1.
Step 2 was to read the kit instructions. I'm told that's important for newbies.
Step 3 was to order the items I don't currently have.
Step 4 combines Step 1 and a wait for the weathering powders currently out of stock with an unnamed supplier. Jimmy Simmons built the original kit using weathering powders and alcohol rather than paints.
While waiting for the powders to be (ha, ha), I can finish the bathroom remodeling job, finish painting the living room trim, and get the layout started.
At least I've started my build.

Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ACL1504

Chip,

Okay, it looks like you are on your way with the build challenge.

I never really considered a 1:1 build challenge, very inventive of you.

Off to a great start. ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com