B&O RR 2-8-0 painting - B&O Guy will like this one.

Started by ACL1504, March 29, 2020, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looking just great so far. I'm following along.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on April 02, 2020, 07:04:00 PM
Quote from: BandOGuy on April 02, 2020, 06:32:09 PM
The dismantling scares the daylights out of me.

I don't think taking one of these apart would scare me at all.  ::)  Putting it back together again, on the other hand.... :o

As Tom mentioned I have a beautifully weathered BLI Reading T1.  It has been a while since it has had the change to stretch its legs though.  Looks like it's going to be a little while longer to.   :'(

The only brass engine I own is a small camel back that I bought from Jim Miller years ago.  It's not a quality piece though and doesn't even look like a match to any I can find in my Reading books.  But hey, I can say I own a brass engine.   ;D

As usual this is a fascinating thread Tom.  Nothing I'll ever tackle but fun to follow along none the less.

Bob,

Appreciate you following along on this adventure. Really, taking apart and putting it all back together isn't that bad. Well, ok, maybe! I've done so many it just seems like second nature to me.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on April 03, 2020, 12:04:04 AM
Nice job on this one Tom - are using the Scalecoat on the driver faces as well?
Doug

Doug,

Thank you. I use Scalecoat on all brass parts. The driver faces were also painted separately and after a semi-flat coat was applied and baked, the tires were cleaned with a Q-tip and Acetone.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 03, 2020, 08:52:21 AM
This recent addition to your thread is the exact reason I don't want to mess with brass locos. Like Bob, it's the putting back together that is my big problem.  :-[

As a kid, I loved taking things apart to see how they were made, but I always had 1 or 2 pieces (or more) left over when it was reassembled. That's why I never got involved with mechanical things like cars.....I wanted to live to be an adult, which would not have happened if I took things apart in my car and then tried to drive it afterwards. Same for a home made airplane, except someone besides me, on the ground, might meet an untimely demise when the plane falls out of the sky.  :(

As an adult, I can cause a residential or commercial building, with thousands of parts, to be put together, but I still don't want to mess with a pricey brass engine.

I'll leave that to experts like you..... ;)

Greg,

Thank you for the kind compliment on the B&O painting. When we do yours hopefully we won't have any parts left over.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on April 03, 2020, 03:28:55 PM
Greg.....

You said that often you had parts left over................... did it work when you got it back together ? ? ?

If yes then the thing had too many parts to start with.

see.............. simple

see y a
Bob

Bob,

A perfect question and observation my friend. 8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on April 03, 2020, 04:01:57 PM
Hey Tom:

Looking just great so far. I'm following along.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you my friend, much appreciated.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The chassis and all moving parts are now back on. Notice the brass screw heads are now black.

Let me bore you with some locomotive speak here. I've seen many model locos where the eccentric crank is/was incorrectly set.

The correct position of the eccentric crank is basically set by the valve gear. On a brass model, I've always followed the premise that the eccentric crank follow or leads the main crank pin by 90 degrees.

I usually set the eccentric crank at about 15 degrees off the center of the axle.

I'll do a short, very short video on how this works in the next few days.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

On this loco the automatic oiler arm was riveted to the oiler as shown in the photo below.

The red pencil is pointing to the rivet. I'll mention this in the video and show all the parts connected to the rivet. Anyway, these parts had to be taped separately so I could paint the cylinders and steam chest.

Until tomorrow and remember, always keep your steam up. 

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

I'm not ready to take apart any of my brass yet, but these posts are sure serving as a detailed explanation of what's involved!!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on April 03, 2020, 06:46:15 PM
I'm not ready to take apart any of my brass yet, but these posts are sure serving as a detailed explanation of what's involved!!

dave

Dave,

I'm happy to see you are following along. Especially glad this is helping as we move along.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I mentioned above about doing a short video on the correct position of the eccentric crank in relation to the main driver main crank pin.

It took me a few days to get to it but alas, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28CGRowaJZQ&t=3s
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Basic painting is now finished. Once the sound is reinstalled and the loco back together, it will get weathered.

The two rerailers on the tender are a mix of Floquil Rust and Zinc Chromate.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Although this model is B&O, it didn't have the standard B&O smoke box herald so I used a small B&O decal.

The cab numbers are all separate numbers. The arm rest is Floquil Freight Car brown and the cab windows are Floquil Signal Red. The canvas shade is Model Master Dark Tan.

The bell and whistle cords are Floquil Earth.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com