FOS The Wacther Apartments

Started by ReadingBob, May 05, 2020, 09:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 18, 2020, 06:56:08 PM
The barrels look great Bob.  8)

Thanks Greg!  I think they turned out okay.  I've got a bunch prepped and ready to paint and chip.  I have to try that chipping fluid on something other than barrels.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: PaulS on June 18, 2020, 08:12:20 PM
Coming along wonderfully Bob.  And your efforts to make the subtle changes and corrections will ultimately produce a beautiful version of this kit !!

And thanks for sharing your efforts for those who may be building this down the road.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
All the best
--Paul

Thank you Paul!  This is a great kit in spite of a few curve balls it threw my way.  Nothing insurmountable though.  I'm almost done and itching to move on to the next build.   ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on June 18, 2020, 02:10:04 PM
I'm getting so much inspiration and ideas seeing this build come together.

-Steven

Steven - Thanks for following along and posting.  Glad to hear your feedback.  I've learned so much from the members of this forum (and it's predecessor) so I'm happy to share what I've learned and what works (or doesn't) for me.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: mark dalrymple on June 18, 2020, 03:02:53 PM
Looking fantastic, Bob!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark!  Glad to have you following along.  Almost finished! It's amazing how long it takes me to finish a build when I think I'm almost finished.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Time to resurrect this thread from the dead and finish it off.  This build was completed a while back but something about it bugged me so I set it aside to work on other things until I could come up with a solution.

The Dry Cleaner sign has small tabs that stick out a provide very little gluing surface to mount it to the wall.  I don't know how many times I knocked it off but I finally drilled some small holes both it and the wall and then used some fine brass wire to fine brass wire to mount it to the wall.  That made it a little sturdier.

Here's the wires I added to the sign to solve the sturdiness problem.

The laundry on the cloths line is printed on paper and needs to be carefully cut out.

I made a 'core' to light up the structure.  Some windows were blocked out inside so not every apartment appears to have the lights on.  The core drops down into the building and the main roof is just placed on top.  It's tight enough that it doesn't need to be glued in place.  Part of what was bugging me about the finished model was the cloths lines.  They're made from heavy monofilament fishing line and I simply could not get them installed to look like they were hanging naturally.  More on that later.

Here's the top of my light core.  You can also see the cloths lines bend inwards.  In some cases that arc upwards instead of downwards at the center.  D'oh!

They just didn't look good.  Plain and simple.  So I put this aside until now.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

This past weekend I ripped out all the cloths lines and replaced the monofilament fishing line with floral wire.  It's not perfect but it gave me more control and they don't look nearly as bad now.

So here are the final pictures...

More in a moment...  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

And the last few....

Hard to see since I didn't wait until it was dark in the house but it does light up.  8)

Thanks for following along.  Sorry for the long delay to get to the finish line.  ::)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

cuse

Wow...I missed this whole thread...that is a showstopper of a build. Beautiful!!

John

ACL1504

Bob,

Fantastic build for sure. I forgot all about this build thread.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Just what Tom said...forgot about this thread.
Are all those signs used from the kit or did you change any around ?
Know you are short on storage room so we have several cabinets available here...
Great job again and you did this kit well....You builds are always the best too !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

This came up really nicely, Bob.

Its packed with interest like the smattering of TV aerials sticking out of the roof.  I think the florist's wire is a definite improvement to the clothes line.  I wonder whether adding some white glue to the clothes and crinkling them up a bit might help take some of the flatness away?  I also wondered whether laminating two items of clothing together and adding a thin lead weight between might provide enough weight to create a realistic sag on line made from embroidery thread?  Just really thinking about thigs to try when making my own clothes line.  It does sound like a lot of work...

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Wow , that is one awesome building , and of course thank you for the great build thread.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ReadingBob

Quote from: cuse on April 18, 2021, 01:12:41 PM
Wow...I missed this whole thread...that is a showstopper of a build. Beautiful!!

John

Thank you John!  Another FOS gem for sure.  Some challenges here and there but nothing that couldn't be overcome.  Lot's of interesting features on this one.  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 18, 2021, 01:21:55 PM
Bob,

Fantastic build for sure. I forgot all about this build thread.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom!  Yeah, this one was finished but not really.  I moved it off to the workbench in the garage until I came up with a solution for the cloths line dilemma.  It's been nagging at me for several months now.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on April 18, 2021, 01:36:27 PM
Bob,
Just what Tom said...forgot about this thread.
Are all those signs used from the kit or did you change any around ?
Know you are short on storage room so we have several cabinets available here...
Great job again and you did this kit well....You builds are always the best too !
Tommy

Thank you Tommy!  The signs are the one's that came with the kit.  I didn't change them up.  I liked them the way they were.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net