Sea Port Model Works 65' Workboat / Lighter

Started by ReadingBob, October 11, 2020, 12:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: nycjeff on December 13, 2020, 06:10:45 PM
Hello Bob, I think that after you finish this model you may need some more eye surgery. Everything in this kit is so small and intricate. You are doing your usual great job.    Jeff

Thanks Jeff!  Yeah, this one turned out to be more of a challenge than I expected.  Definitely not for beginners.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on December 14, 2020, 12:41:27 AM
Beautiful work.  Your precision is perfect especially on those small parts.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  It's tried my patience at times but I'm slowly getting there.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ACL1504

Bob,

Beautiful job on the work boat. This will be a real eye catcher for sure. I've been trying to talk myself into building the Seaport/Sheepscot Tug Boat but can't seem to pull the plug.

The weathered red is very nice Butty.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Bob

The boat is really looking great - it's all about the details. I can't wait for your finished pictures.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NKP768

deemery

I'd contact Seaport to see if they'll send you an extra cleat, or if they sell more of them.  Otherwise, check https://modelexpo-online.com (they're in Florida :-) ) to see if they have the part or something close to use as a replacement.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 14, 2020, 07:02:11 AM
Bob,

Beautiful job on the work boat. This will be a real eye catcher for sure. I've been trying to talk myself into building the Seaport/Sheepscot Tug Boat but can't seem to pull the plug.

The weathered red is very nice Butty.

Tom  ;D

Thanks Tom!  It's been quite a challenge but I think it'll look pretty good anchored near Red Hook Wharf if/when I get around to building that one.   ;)  I decided I wanted to build something other than a structure for a change of pace.  I am ready, however, to get back to structure building.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on December 14, 2020, 07:21:42 AM
Bob

The boat is really looking great - it's all about the details. I can't wait for your finished pictures.

Thanks John!  This is a pretty neat kit.  Challenging for sure but neat.  There are lot's of nice details included in the kit.  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 14, 2020, 08:43:46 AM
Looking most excellent Bob..... 8)

Thank you Greg!  Hope I can get to show it to you in person some day soon.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: NKP768 on December 14, 2020, 04:45:07 PM
Wow Bob - nice job ....

Doug

Thanks Doug!  Really appreciate your following along and posting.  :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on December 14, 2020, 05:13:08 PM
I'd contact Seaport to see if they'll send you an extra cleat, or if they sell more of them.  Otherwise, check https://modelexpo-online.com (they're in Florida :-) ) to see if they have the part or something close to use as a replacement.

dave

Thanks for the link Dave.  I'll check it out.  I e-mailed Sea Port the week of Thanksgiving but didn't hear back from Bruce.  I mentioned I'd buy a few kits if they'd throw in the missing cleat.  They don't have detail parts listed on their web site but I did find the exact pack of cleats from Sea Port listed on the Walther's site.  Out of stock of course.  I found some that were close on some other web sites but couldn't quite justify paying $10 to $12 in shipping for $5 worth of detail castings. 

I have two other Sea Port ship models but neither has this style of cleat so I couldn't borrow one from there.

I took a large nail, clamped it in my bench vise and attacked it with a Dremel with a cut off wheel.  I cut off chunks of it until I had something that resembled a cleat albeit smaller than the ones that came in the kit.  I figure it'll do for holding the rigging and, when the rigging has been secured a barrel, board and/or tarp strategically positioned will hide it well enough to get by with.   ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Keep It Rusty

Still enjoying this build, Bob.

If SeaPort can't help and you up against a wall, chances are I could print a cleat if you can reference exactly what you're looking for.

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 15, 2020, 06:50:19 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on December 14, 2020, 08:43:46 AM
Looking most excellent Bob..... 8)

Thank you Greg!  Hope I can get to show it to you in person some day soon.   :D

Sounds like a great plan..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

JimMooney