2021 Winter Build Challenge

Started by Raymo, December 16, 2020, 11:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

Well here I am doing the annual beating of the drum for support of a winter build challenge. So far alot of the regulars have shown interest and maybe some newbie's will join too. The rules are simple,
1) Build anything, any scale, just do a build thread on the forum showing photos and building techniques.
2)Runs from January 1st to April 15, 2021.
3) Put 2021 Winter Build Challenge in the thread title. ( Example.. CCK Round Barn 2021 Winter Build Challenge.)
The forum has grown 2 fold over the past couple of years and I always check to see what people are looking at. Seems people like the building threads on this forum, so check your shelves, closet floors, and storage bins for a kit that needs to come to life. Thanks again, Raymo

Keep It Rusty

The timing on this will work perfect for another part of my Rocky Point Harbor tribute.

As I already have a thread, would I have to separate it to qualify/make sense?

Looking forward to it!

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Raymo

Quote from: Rusty Robot on December 16, 2020, 11:23:25 AM
The timing on this will work perfect for another part of my Rocky Point Harbor tribute.

As I already have a thread, would I have to separate it to qualify/make sense?

Looking forward to it!
I would like to see a separate thread but do what you would like. If you keep it on your started thread maybe you could say it's part of the challenge.

Keep It Rusty

Got it. Either way, I'll definitely make it clear!

NEMMRRC

Alright !!

So glad to see this one. I've already dusted off my choice from the "vault" lol.

Juno in everyone.

Jaime

Zephyrus52246

Great, I'm bored with doing the layout scenery.   :)

Jeff

Jim Donovan

I ever get this Bar Mills kit done I will give it a crack. Have to check closet for something more in my league I have been definitely hitting way out of it with this hotel kit.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

I'm definitely keen.

Have lots of ideas.

Rusty - why don't you keep your current thread going, and also do a separate build thread for the challenge.  You could 'flesh' the challenge thread out more with extra photos and blow by blow explanations.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

I'm in and I'll dedicate my build to Jim Miller. However, it won't necessarily have the Miller name on it. I'll have to spend some time going through my stash.

Thanks for starting this Dan.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 16, 2020, 04:17:26 PM
Rusty - why don't you keep your current thread going, and also do a separate build thread for the challenge.  You could 'flesh' the challenge thread out more with extra photos and blow by blow explanations.

Not a bad idea. I think I'll do just that.

S&S RR

Okay, I'm officially in.  I will be building SRMW 's Tucker & Cook with a twist. WARNING: There may be changes. The Tucker & Cook mill will be converted into the crew quarters for the S&S RR Eagles Nest Yard.  The top floor will serve as the Rail Road President's suite and business offices. The beautiful red box has been moved to the starting gate above my assembly workbench. Full disclosure - I opened it and took pictures of the photographs provided by Bob so I could make sketches with my iPad of potential changes. Everything is neatly packed back in the box waiting for the completion of my current builds or January 1st, which ever comes first.

I plan to review Jaime's great build thread on his build of this kit in 2015 before getting started. Jaime did you ever finish this build?

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

NEMMRRC

Quote from: S&S RR on December 16, 2020, 05:35:58 PM
Okay, I'm officially in.  I will be building SRMW 's Tucker & Cook with a twist. WARNING: There may be changes. The Tucker & Cook mill will be converted into the crew quarters for the S&S RR Eagles Nest Yard.  The top floor will serve as the Rail Road President's suite and business offices. The beautiful red box has been moved to the starting gate above my assembly workbench. Full disclosure - I opened it and took pictures of the photographs provided by Bob so I could make sketches with my iPad of potential changes. Everything is neatly packed back in the box waiting for the completion of my current builds or January 1st, which ever comes first.

I plan to review Jaime's great build thread on his build of this kit in 2015 before getting started. Jaime did you ever finish this build?

I finished all 80 windows in the kit  ;D

I think I will wait to see how you finish yours to inspire me to complete mine.

Jaime

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on December 16, 2020, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on December 16, 2020, 05:35:58 PM

I finished all 80 windows in the kit  ;D

I think I will wait to see how you finish yours to inspire me to complete mine.

Jaime

Wow- the pressure is on.  If I remember right you were done with the building but finishing the diorama. I will not be using the river and stone castings for the spillway for my build - Those castings already are spoken for in a different area of my layout. Anyway I hope you find the inspiration needed to finish yours - it will look great on that layout you plan to build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Opa George

I hope to get on board with one of the FOS kits I bought earlier this year. I have the Green Dragon restaurant, King of Clubs and a few free kits: Big Lou's Grill and Santo's Cigars and Tattoos.  Not sure yet which one will get the nod. 

But nothing can happen until I start clearing the workbench. All of the finished structures from the old layout are sitting everywhere, taking up every available inch, waiting to find a location and start populating the new layout. Sounds like a project for next week.

--Opa George