Advertise Here - SUPPORT TMF

Author Topic: Jon H Olson Chemical Co DBA Skeeter's Fly Dope  (Read 1175 times)

Jim Donovan

• Modeler's Hero 500+ Posts
    • View Profile
Re: Jon H Olson Chemical Co DBA Skeeter's Fly Dope
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 10:08:03 PM »
All that work instead of simply using Tichy windows was to enable me to set the windows both open and closed. When done here is the result:

That's it for now.
Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »
With the installation of the windows I decided to build the various loading docks, decks and equipment that is part of the the main building. The plans have detailed drawings showing the wood sizes to be used and the method to construct the parts such as the Pulley hoist with roof overhang on the elevator tower. Moreover the directions explain what stains and paints to use and in what order things are to be done. However the paints and stains are no longer available so I used my own ideas. For the docks and bumpers I used Hunterline Driftwood Stain. The strip wood was soaked in a tray of the stain for about 10 seconds then set on a paper towel to dry. A copy of the original scale drawing for each deck was placed under a piece of parchment paper with both taped to the work mat. The parchment paper is translucent so the details of the scale drawing are easily seen. Then it was just a matter of cutting the correct size strip wood as needed and gluing it in place using Canopy glue exactly over the drawing to the part it connects with. The following photo shows the L shape deck for the Office and the loading dock for the backside of structure next to where the chemical tanks will go. The steel weight was used to keep the parts in their place while the glue dried. The decks are 1 x 10 top boards, Joists are 2 x 6 and the base is 8 x 8.
Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2021, 05:30:26 PM »
For the second floor staircase I used the same materials and stain as with the decks except for the stringers.. These I made using the Silhouette Cameo 3 cutter. The stringers were designed by first importing a .jpeg copy of the diagram drawing into the Silhouette design program using the scanning function on a inkjet printer. If you do this make sure the imported .jpeg is sized correctly (8.5 x 11 inches). Once in the design program I made the .jpeg image transparent so the design grid of the program is seen. Finally I make this Layer 2. This keeps the drawing where you want it but since it won’t be the top layer (layer 1) it won’t interfere as you manipulate the lines drawn over it. Using the line function, the staircase stringers are copied and the file saved. Layer 1 is sent to the Cameo 3 and cut exactly to shape. I use 8.5 x 11 photo paper (64 pound stock) for the stringer material instead of wood as it allows much closer cuts. 8 stringers are cut out. Taking two they are glued together using Canopy Glue and allowed to dry completely with a weight to hold the stringer flat and ensure a tight bond. The same is done for the other pairs of stringers. Once completely dry Driftwood Stain is lightly brushed onto the completed stringers.  To construct the sections of the staircase I made a jig the correct length and width for the stringers to rest in allowing the steps to be glued in place and dry. Here you see the staircase completed except for the railing. After this photo was taken the railing was installed and the landing platforms touched up with the Hunterline stain to match the stringer color. 
Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »
In addition to utilizing the two print/ cutters I am using the Photon S printer I was given at Christmas. This resin printer will operate to .1mm thick per layer to produce amazing detailed castings. Here it has just finished making some chairs, they are upside down attached to the moving platen. From here they will be put in an alcohol bath, washed and cured using UV light. Finally painted. It always details to be added that I would not be able to do normally.

Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
The L braces on the elevator doors were 3D printed. The original file was a full size L brace re-sized to HO scale. I don’t think you can see them but it printed out the brace including the holes for the bolts. The lower deck bumpers were donut shapes cut using the Cameo 3 with Tichy Bolts inserted. These will be weathered later.

Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
There are a lot of outside goose lights on the original Skeeter’s though they did not light. With LED lights now available I am lighting the gooseneck outside lights as well as lighting some of the interior. I am playing around with possible interior details which you might see in some of the following photos but not sure if I will go with it.

Holland & Odessa R.R.

Jim Donovan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »
Lastly I added the Skeeter sign on the elevator tower. The cork on the right will be the frame for the water tower.  So we are caught up with where I am at this point. Much more to do.

Holland & Odessa R.R.

GPdemayo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
Looking good Jim.....the detail you get with that 3D printer is amazing.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal