KC's Workshop - Linda's Luncheonette

Started by ReadingBob, April 24, 2021, 11:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

This would have been build number Tres for the Build Challenge but I never got around to starting a thread on it until now.  I built this one at the same time I was working on the CCK Rowhouse on Concord Street.  I picked up both kits at the EXPO in Altoona in 2017 (I only remember the year because I'm currently wearing the EXPO t-shirt so all I had to do was look down  ;D ).

This is KC's Workshop Linda's Luncheonette.  It comes in a small bag.  I wanted to build this one because it's a brick structure.

Some of the goodies packed in that small bag.

Signs and glazing.

And some instructions.

As usual I started by cleaning up the castings included in the kit using an emery board to get them ready to paint.

I removed the wood parts from their carrier sheets, in this case the front wall, using a single edged razor blade and cleaned them up as well to prep them for painting.

More in a moment... ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Prior to painting I assembled the storefront which is made up of a wood part and a piece that has a peel n' stick backing on it.  Since I was painting both the same color no point in not assembling them prior to painting.

Peel off the backing and then carefully position the trim piece in place.  I did the same with the door.

Then I got a little confused.  The door was wider than the door opening.  I could have simply glued it to the back of the wall and it would have been recessed a bit but the front wall is rather thick and I didn't think it would look right.

To get the door to fit flush with the front wall I trimmed about 1/32" off of each side of the opening using small steel ruler and a sharp X-Acto by making several light passes with the blade.

Now the width of the door opening is correct but the height is still an issue.  To fix that I trimmed a little off the top of the door.

Just getting a feel for where the ornate columns will go around the door.  I kept them separate for the painting process and glued them in place later.

More in a moment... ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

There are two pieces of "brick" columns that act as the corner posts.  I sanded the none brick side to smooth it out a bit before attaching it to the walls.

I also sanded the ends of the brick side walls to square them up.

Glue was applied to the (front) edge of each brick wall to attach the corner posts.

Then the posts were positioned in place so the brick pattern lined up as best as possible.

Afterwards the corner posts were trimmed to fit using a single edged razor blade.

Next the walls were braced keeping mind to position the bracing so it won't interfere with the other walls when they're glued together.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

The bracing was also trimmed to fit using a single edge razor blade.  The bracing did not extend all the way to the top of the wall however.  I left enough of a gap at the top so the roof could be recessed a bit.  I drew a line on each wall where I wanted the roof to sit before applying the bracing.

The real reason I wanted to build this kit was to work on my brick coloring.  I'm always in awe of the brick finishes others (EricQuebec, Mark Dalrymple, Doug Foscale for example) get so I thought I'd try some of the techniques I saw on YouTube or read about in Doug's blog.  After priming the walls with red primer I painted them with a succession of colors from brighter to darker making sure to not get complete coverage or blending of the colors.

The end result wasn't bad but I still feel I need more practice.   ;)  For the joints I used spackle which I found works better for wood and fiber walls than a thin paint. The paint gets sucked into the material and disappears.  Multiple applications of the paint can soak the material (especially fiber board walls) and cause damage.  The spackle works fine even if it is too white.

I applied spackle to the wall a little at a time and then got as much of it off the surface of the brick as I could by rubbing my finger over it.

Next the kind of scary part.  I brushed on some AK Interactive Gray Weathering Wash from the top down.  It went on really dark so I then dipped my brush in thinner and wash off some of it to lighten it up before it set.

The front wall, pilasters, doors and windows were all painted Coach Green.  Then I dry-brushed them with some Ivory White craft store acrylic to highlight things a bit.

More in a moment... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I found some signs in my stash that I thought would look good on the side walls.  I cut them out using a steel ruler and an X-Acto knife.

I sanded the back to make them as thin as I could without sanding all the way through them.  I sand them from the center out.

I put a little Elmer's White Glue in a paint pallet.

Then mixed in a few drops of water to thin out the Elmer's.

Then I smeared the thinned Elmer's on the back of the sign making sure to get good coverage but also keeping it thin.  Try not to get any on the front of the sign and wipe of the finger used to smear the glue before handling anything.

I positioned the sign on the wall (I had previously marked where one edge would go and the bottom with a pencil) and then placed a piece of plastic over it so I could run a finger nail over it to get it to settle down into the joints as much as possible.

More in a moment... 8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I glued the roof in place, painted it black and when the paint was dry spread a layer of Elmer's White Glue over it.

Then I sprinkle the bag of stuff that came with the kit over the glue.  I'm not sure what this stuff was but in hindsight I wish I would have used some Arizona Rock and Mineral Cinders I have instead.  I think that would have looked better.

Added the chimney's, blinds, front sign, etc. and there you have it.  The finished product. 

I felt like I didn't do a great job with it but it is a neat little kit.  I didn't bother with lighting because it's a luncheonette so my thinking is it's closed in early morning hours and the evening hours.  If/when I build a layout it will probably get relegated to a side street or back area.

Thanks for following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

WigWag Workshop

Awesome build Bob! I been looking for my first "Brick" kit, this one looks like it just might fit the bill. Appreciate you sharing.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Zephyrus52246

Nice lookin' little structure, Bob.

Jeff

craftsmankits

Hi Bob,

Nice looking build.  I never saw this kit before.  Thanks for sharing all the pictures.  Mark

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

nycjeff

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

postalkarl

hey Bob:

Great looking build and I love the signs.

Karl

GPdemayo

Nice job Bob.....I'll enjoy seeing the "wood brick" if you bring it down Saturday.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Keep It Rusty

I almost bought this when I bought Cameron Street Apts.

You did a great job with it, Bob. And another great write-up!

cuse

Nice Bob...I especially like the brick "showing through" the Kola sign. Very well executed.

John