New hosmasote roadbed supplier

Started by Mecrr22, May 04, 2021, 09:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Some thoughts about working with this stuff:

1.  I use somewhat diluted white glue spread with a brush to glue this stuff down.
2.  Cutting a piece to fit is the same as cutting cork:  lay the new piece on top of the old, then slice down with a single edge razor blade. 
3.  It's fragile along the slices, so you have to be careful how you handle it.
4.  I use tape to hold piece into place (e.g. when laying down a curve.) 
5.  Once it's attached, you can (and probably should) run a sanding block to smooth out any rough spots.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

vinceg

To anybody who has used the roadbed - how is the dimensional stability throughout seasons? That is, I have had good luck with cork not changing much through summer (humid) and winter (very dry). In fact, cork roadbed even seems to protect the track from some of the expansion and contraction of the plywood subroadbed I use. Can anyone comment on how the homasote reacts?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

GPdemayo

I have found it to be the best choice Vince.

It has been glued to plywood or homasote on the layout for about 10 years and nothing has moved a bit. The ties and spikes are as solid today as when I installed them.

The layout is in the sunroom on the northwest side of the house and it get a lot of hearing and cooling during the day during the summer and winter and no expansion or contraction has occurred.

One thing that might have helped is that I let the plywood and lumber set in the house for a couple of weeks before I started working with it. I learned, from my grandfather, that any lumber, especially trim material, is best left to give it time for it's moisture content can stabilize before using.

I love using the homasote as a base for the scenery and track and find it perfect for holding the spikes of hand laid rail and wooden ties.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Well, I don't know!  I've had expansion problems on my track, but I can't say if those were due to homabed or to the underlying wood benchwork.  I think it would be a good idea to paint this stuff before you lay the track, though.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: vinceg on May 13, 2021, 02:06:52 PM
To anybody who has used the roadbed - how is the dimensional stability throughout seasons? That is, I have had good luck with cork not changing much through summer (humid) and winter (very dry). In fact, cork roadbed even seems to protect the track from some of the expansion and contraction of the plywood subroadbed I use. Can anyone comment on how the homasote reacts?

Vince,

On my last two layouts, I used 1/2" Homosote  glued over 3/8" three ply plywood. I made it a habit of using some cheap water base paint to "seal" the Homosote. The water base paint didn't affect the Homosote at all.

Not only did I seal the top but I painted all edges as well. The old layout was up for the better part of 6 years with no noticeable track misalignments due to the humidity.

I called the Homosote sealing "Cheap Insurance". Hope this helps.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 14, 2021, 06:53:27 PM
Quote from: vinceg on May 13, 2021, 02:06:52 PM

Vince,

On my last two layouts, I used 1/2" Homosote  glued over 3/8" three ply plywood. I made it a habit of using some cheap water base paint to "seal" the Homosote. The water base paint didn't affect the Homosote at all.

Not only did I seal the top but I painted all edges as well. The old layout was up for the better part of 6 years with no noticeable track misalignments due to the humidity.

I called the Homosote sealing "Cheap Insurance". Hope this helps.

Tom  ;D

Yep, it does. I have some more benchwork and track to do for my peninsula. I may now consider doing it w/homasote roadbed when I get back to it. (Still looking to get some significant scenery work finished first)

'course I'm not doing anything
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Rail and Tie

Wax is used in sticking all those fibers together to help stabilize the material. Homosote accepts paint well on the surface, but I have not found it to soak in much which is good.  It does not like things like acetone and thinners though...
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Zephyrus52246

I've used the original "homabed" and the later one from Cascade.  I've painted the areas where the sheets were used, but only a small amount of the roadbed, as I've never gotten around to scenery over nearly all the layout.  Most of the rest I just wiped with a damp cloth to pick up surface dust after it was glued down to the plywood. I've only had one place where the rail bowed from expansion.  Part of the layout is 20 years old without issues. 

Jeff

jbvb

I've had one instance where a couple of rails bowed in the first winter heating season after that part of the layout was built. I feel it's more likely to be 1/2" plywood shrinking than the homasote itself.  My layout is mostly handlaid, and I did find gaps closing after a few years. I think this was just thermal creep; the temperature range in the attic is 45 - 90F. Little bits of .010 x .030 styrene strip dabbed in Goo and stuck in each gap cured that.
James