Re-post of my Indiana Layout

Started by John B, July 12, 2014, 01:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

I used a putty knife and tore out the curved section of track.

John B

I must be extremely lucky; because here is the unaltered Walthers turnout laying in the place where the curved track was.

John B

No more Eiffel Towers or Taj Mahals; BUT, I have decided to incorporate something I saw in a Model Railroader a long time ago. I really liked the way it looked. Malcohm Furlow made a small layout called the Carbondale (I think). He used a lot of Woodland Scenics Portals to build a raised city. I really liked the way that looked so I will have my verison of the Carbondale raised city. Here we see a couple of portals in place and the two bridges that the special "heavyweight" train will use to leave the town on

John B

Just to clarify something, all of the previous photos were done in the past. Some of these shots are hot off the press. We are almost up to dateWe start out with the final cardboard strip gluing. This is the where the mountain ends in the inside loop. The track going along the wall with eventually go around the large mountain and arrive at the upper industrial level. The small portal on top of the pink foam pieces is the town highway leading from Joanstown across the aisle to the big cities beyond the mountain


John B

Adding more cardboard strips to the smaller section of the mountain

John B

Back to the large mountain area. Finishing off the cardboard and starting to the plaster cloth process. I bought the cloth online. It comes in a 20 pound box. It's a lot cheaper by the box than those little rolls of Woodland Scenics cloth. The 20-pound box sells for less than $35 at http://www.cheapcher.com/




John B

Plaster clothing the trestle area.

John B

Plastering against the wall.

John B

This area is in the middle of the layout. The double track main makes a return loop on itself

John B

Same area, different shot and lighting

John B

This industry setting is above the double track portals in the previous shots.

John B

Same industrial area with more plaster cloth installed

John B

Same area with first layer of cloth on

John B

This is a very hard to reach area. Good thing Joan isn't afraid of getting a little dirty

John B

The wall area of the mountain. The single track industrial track goes over the trestle and around this area and into the industrial area seen above

Powered by EzPortal