Small scenes tell a story

Started by bparrish, February 01, 2022, 04:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

I'm starting a new thing that has to do with small scenes and the stories that go with them.  With that thinking........  I am starting here with a photo series that will show some street scenes around the railroad and tell a story.  Some tell themselves and I will comment on others as to how I got some stuff done.

My railroad is small enough that I cannot create any illusion of distance for my operators.  In trade for that, I have chosen to give them lots to look at while driving the trains. 

I am going to show many of these in the next days that seem to have multiple vantage points of the same subject as it is the only way to really show what is going on and tell the story.

To start with then..............

Here is a look at a drive shaft repair on a Shay locomotive.   It is a static Keystone model that got pressed into service.  There is a mix of people sitting and visiting and others who look like they are doing something that can be identified. 

These are a mix of Preiser, Weston and Woodland Scenics people.

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

postalkarl

Hey B:

Very nicely done. great detail.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

Here is another look at the two guys kibitzing and making sure that the young bucks get it right.

Think of some of this like a photograph...........  we don't see the movement before or after the click of the shutter.  We really don't struggle to make sense of it.

see ya
Bob

sdrees

This is a great scene Bob.  I like to use the LP to tell stories, and this is a great setting.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Jim Donovan

Love the detailing and overall scene.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

The little people and the details really make it come alive.....looking forward to seeing more Bob.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NEMMRRC

That's one strong dude holding on the bent driveshaft.

Jaime

bparrish

Jaime...........

It is funny that you commented about that.......  I worked  for a car dealership that had a franchise with Peugeot in the mid 70's.  They had a closed drive line through a torque tube with the differential suspended in rubber mounts and CV axles out to the rear wheels.   If the bolts came loose at the transmission end of the drive line tube, it would wallow around and strip out the splines and require a new drive shaft.

This was the holy grail of pry bars.  This thing was bullet proof and great for baring stuff over and just plain grunting stuff around.  We had bars sort of like this in the navy working on stationary Diesels for rolling them around.   I kept that bar even when I went to the school district teaching auto mechanics.  I bequeathed it to the instructor that followed me when I retired.

The students loved when I went for the corner of the shop where that bar lived................   Students would back up...... "Parrish is going to war ! ! !"

This solidified my maxim of............ there is no substitute for brute force ! ! !

Thanx for looking in.
Bob

darrylhuffman

My grandkids dissected owl pellets 25 years ago in school.

They brought the mouse bones home and I realized they would make a nice little scene.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

GPdemayo

One heck of an imagination.....great scene Darryl.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

Great conversation with a huge time lapse...

I'm starting to move some of my thinking back here from the small e-mail group that started after the collapse of two years ago.

I'm going to call John Siekirk tomorrow and see what we might do about this and the larger Gazette publication that we started.

It is going well so we will probably continue that.

I am going to put additional photos of small scenes here as we go on.

see ya
Bob

Rollin

Quote from: bparrish on November 26, 2023, 04:24:22 PMI'm starting to move some of my thinking back here from the small e-mail group that started after the collapse of two years ago.

I'm going to call John Siekirk tomorrow and see what we might do about this and the larger Gazette publication that we started.

It is going well so we will probably continue that.

I have been enjoying the S & S Gazette and look forward to it every month. Your stories about your dad and his work for the railroad have been very enjoyable.

Maybe John will get even more readers now that the Forum is back up!