Builders in Scale Sassen Vinegar Works - not really

Started by Oldguy, November 02, 2021, 09:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really great, Bob.

Your creation has very pleasing dimensions.  I really like the way the corrugated iron came up.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

It looks like everything is going to stick to the base, so I can do the wiring.  I needed to have the underside flat, so I made four holding jigs out of scrap 2x4s and some plywood strips.  So, so thankful that I had purchased a brad nailer as it made short work of assembly.
I used the copper tape and established the + and - strips.  The 0402 LEDs are rated at three volts and came with resistors (687 ohm units) for operation at 9 to 14 volts.  I can attest that the teeny little things put out a loud pop when exposed to 9 volts.  Four circuits, four resistors, not three you idiot.

In this case, I added the resistors first, then added the fine wire to the ends.  This wire doesn't like to take a tinning, so some solder joints look nasty.  Here I decided to feed the 12 volt power from the middle as it was more convenient.  The hook up wire comes in a spool box that I labeled with my wiring codes as I can forget the off colors.  The cut off and wire stripper was a cheap unit and works flawlessly. 

Once all joints have been completed, I like to use some hot glue to hold the wires in place, in the off chance that one could get snagged during handling.  It looks ugly, but it does work.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Went to hook up the lights and found I forgot all about one, so back upside down to hook those up. 

Test lighting went as expected.  With one exception.  The office windows got a matte spray by accident, so basically one can't see all the interior details.  Oh well.

Now I can add the details and weather this sucker.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

I did some light weathering, for now, and added some bits and bobs.  I have planned where the tracks will be installed and road surface applied.  But those items will have to wait until it gets installed.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond