FOS Yard Office Three Build

Started by ReadingBob, December 05, 2021, 11:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks like you are moving right along. Looks great so far.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really neat, Bob.

The brick colour looks completely different from before and after the addition of mortar. I assume thats the AI.  I like the finished colour much better.  Its nice having the variety of mediums.

Cheers, Mark.

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 21, 2021, 08:32:15 AM
Great job Bob. I will probably be building thIs kit when I start on the peninsula. What is the square black hole in the large window?

Thanks Curt!  This has been a fun one to build so far.  Are you referring to the window (square black hole) in the large freight door on the left or something else?

I'll be sure to bring it along to a future SBG get together when they start up again.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 21, 2021, 09:00:15 AM
Bob,

I think the walls look fine. I have several Downtown Deco kits to build. I've been putting them off cause I don't feel comfortable doing the Hydrocal brick thing. I definitely need to come out of my comfort zone and give one a try.

Tom  ;D

Hi Tom!  Break out one of those Downtown Deco kits and give it a whirl.  They're a lot of fun and the detail is absolutely wonderful.  The part I enjoy most is painting them.  I start with a base color and then continue to add thin washes of various colors until I settle on something that pleases the eye.  All with cheap craft store acrylics. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on December 21, 2021, 09:42:22 AM
I've gotten good results messing with gouache (opaque watercolor), I got a cheap student set at Michaels with a 40% coupon.  The advantage is that you can easily wash it off if you don't like the result.  The disadvantage is that you should seal the results when you do like it, otherwise the gouache could get washed off doing scenery. 

dave

Thanks for the tip Dave!  I have make a note in my phone to look for that stuff next time I'm in one of the craft stores.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on December 21, 2021, 11:28:48 AM
Bob great tutorial as usual.  I like the brick coloring nice job.

And a nice job on weathering the wood walls.

Always a pleasure following one of your builds.

Jerry

Thank you for the kind comment Jerry!  More to come.  One of these days.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: postalkarl on December 21, 2021, 06:03:11 PM
Hey Bob:

Looks like you are moving right along. Looks great so far.

Karl

Thanks Karl!  Much appreciated.  I like the combination of brick and wood on this one. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on December 21, 2021, 11:06:44 PM
Looking really neat, Bob.

The brick colour looks completely different from before and after the addition of mortar. I assume thats the AI.  I like the finished colour much better.  Its nice having the variety of mediums.

Cheers, Mark.

Thank you Mark!  Yes, the process went along something like this...looks better, looks better, looks worse, looks better, looks worse.....  The trick seems to be stopping at a point where "looks better" is pleasing to my eye.   ;D  I always struggle a bit with mortar.  I want it to be just visible but not overpowering.  After the mortar was added the surface of the bricks took far too much of the white so I did do a combo of dry brushing some brick color on it followed by a coat of light A&I to tone it back down. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

richbeau

Nice work on the plaster walls. I have to do something similar - I just have to remember to stop at looks-good-to-me.  8)
BTW the plaster section is from an old Ed Fulasz design (Kit #2½: "The Office").  I have a copy as produced by Jimmy.
--Rich

ReadingBob

Quote from: richbeau on December 22, 2021, 12:00:19 PM
Nice work on the plaster walls. I have to do something similar - I just have to remember to stop at looks-good-to-me.  8)
BTW the plaster section is from an old Ed Fulasz design (Kit #2½: "The Office").  I have a copy as produced by Jimmy.
--Rich

Thanks Rich!  Sorry for taking so long to respond to this one.  The plaster castings in this kit are nice.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Okay.  It's time to wrap this one up so I can at least start on my Challenge build before Dr. Jeff gets to Act 4.  ;D

I applied a little bit of AK Interactive Moss deposits to the bottom of the structure and then washed it off with some thinner to just give a hint of growth around the base where things remain damp.  Since a loading dock will hide the base I figured that's a good place to start so I can get comfortable with the process before I get to the parts that will be visible.

Time for the roofs.  I applied 3M Transfer Tape to the top of the roof cards and trimmed it to size with an X-Acto.

I cut 3' wide strips of roofing paper (Stoney Creek Designs - the same stuff Tom used on his Red Bird Taxi build only green instead of red) and then sanded the edge from the backside to give it a little bit of an uneven/tattered/worn appearance.

When I had enough strips of roofing material ready I peeled off the backing of the transfer tape to expose the sticky roof card.

Then I applied the roofing material starting at the bottom edge and working my way up overlapping each strip slightly.

Then I flipped the structure over and trimmed the strips with a pair of scissors.  I left a little bit of the strip to fold down over the edge slightly.  Not prototypical, I know, but I like the look.

More in a moment... ;)

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I used the 3M transfer tape on the loading dock as well to apply the planks.

The planks were applied longer than needed and then trimmed to fit after the fact with a single edged razor blade.

Normally I drill/cut a hole in the roof for the chimney but the roof card on the plaster cast structure was thicker than normal, so I opted to cut the base of the chimney casting at an angle to match the pitch of the roof instead.  I used an old pair of rail nippers to cut the casting and then a file to smooth it out.  Surprisingly I got it close enough just eyeballing it.

Here's the finished structure.  I opted to add some lights over the doors but none inside. 

Thanks for following along!  This was a fun little kit and I think it'll look great when it's in place with some track and rolling stock around it.   ;)  Now to crack open that challenge build kit!

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

PRR Modeler

Great build Bob. Another top notch effort. What's the purpose of the square hole in the door?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

Very nice , and lighting always does it for me, wonderful.
I love photo's, don't we all.