ITLA Modular Industry

Started by Zephyrus52246, April 07, 2024, 08:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Hi, Jerry.  It wasn't too difficult to build, except the darn steps.  I think if I needed to do the stairway again, I'd use a small clamp to hold the sides and slide the steps in like the instructions say.  I forgot I have a set of clamps just for this type of situation.  Doh!

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Put the back wall on and used a small piece of stripwood for a bit of additional bracing.  I didn't want it visible thru the door, so I cut it short.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

This led to an issue, the wall is a bit too short.  I think I misjudged something somewhere.  I thought I had added the width of the gatorfoam to this.  The side wall isn't yet attached.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I then cut a roof out of 0.080 styrene.  This probably won't need bracing (I might add some anyway).  I made this before attaching the side wall as it would make sure the structure (hopefully) is square and make it easier to line up the side wall. 

Zephyrus52246

Added the side wall and then a piece of stripwood which was pretty close to the required size on the corner.  I also added filler on the left side where the gaps for the interlocking wall piece would go so the gatorfoam would have more gluing area. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Of course, I then had to place it back on the layout in it's appropriate place to see how it fit.  The hole is still a bit visible, but you really have to get close to the layout to see it.  The back nor side walls are not visible at all.  I'd call that a success.  You'll note the inset pieces aren't yet glued in, either.  I need to brace the other 3 corners and make a view block so you can't see thru the building, as you'd notice there are no back side windows.  I may leave the door off, or just use a piece of it on the top of the opening, as long as it doesn't interfere with a boxcar fitting inside.  No Hi Cubes here, it's 1950.

Jeff

deemery

The building looks good, and not too compressed.

You could add something to fill that triangle space behind the building where the track goes through.  A smokestack?  Maybe even a water tank?  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Dave, I'll probably add a small hill with some brush and a tree to cover it.  

Jeff

deemery

Before you do that, put something like a smokestack in that corner to try that out.  A 1" dowel would work.  There's a neat article in this month's MRH about a guy who took a round turned chair leg and turned it into a smokestack.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Jeff.

I'd be investigating putting a pedestrian bridge across the track against the wall, and a bit of a woodland track/ path back to the rest of town.  Also, a smoke stack as Dave suggests.

Cheers, Mark.

ACL1504

Jeff,

Great looking structure, well done.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com