FOS Gorman Sign Company build

Started by ReadingBob, April 27, 2024, 10:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on May 10, 2024, 12:03:57 AMJust saw your new build here.  Retirement must agree with you because your already set up and moving right along.

Really like the coloring on this one.  And your usual neat and careful planning of things.

Nice tutorial as always.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  Happy to have you following along.  I'm really pleased with how this one is working out.  It's a neat little kit with some wonderful details.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: oldiron on May 10, 2024, 08:13:00 AMA little late to the party but would painting the black inside with an oil base paint reduce the warping? Bob

That might help but most of the warping seems to occur when the Hunterline Weathering Mix is applied.  That's pretty thin and the wood just sucks it up.  Even when painted.  Some of the walls, in this kit, are more susceptible to warping because of all the openings they have due to other parts being cut in the non-viewable area.  Bracing solves most of the issues and the final construction takes care of the rest.

Thanks for following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on May 10, 2024, 08:49:59 AMClever idea for the adjustable lighting rack!

dave

Thanks Dave!  I wish I would have thought of this a long time ago.  It saved me time and made the construction a lot easier.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jim Donovan on May 10, 2024, 09:01:07 AMI agree, neat idea! Great work and looking forward to more now that you have reached the seven days of Saturday stage of life.

Jim

Thanks Jim!  I'm enjoying the seven days of Saturday stage for sure.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 10, 2024, 09:16:57 AMLooking good Bob..... 8)

Thanks Butty!  This is a fun one.  Hope to be able to bring it down to Tom's one of these days for show and tell.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

nycjeff

Hello Bob, I can see that retirement agrees with you. You're doing your usual fine job with this build. Everything looks good and I have no idea how you can bend that small diameter tubing with the wires inside and not damage the wires.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ReadingBob

Quote from: nycjeff on May 11, 2024, 07:00:45 PMHello Bob, I can see that retirement agrees with you. You're doing your usual fine job with this build. Everything looks good and I have no idea how you can bend that small diameter tubing with the wires inside and not damage the wires.

Hi Jeff.  Yeah, bending that tubing without pinching the wires is a real trick.  I can't tell you how many I've ruined that way.  It takes a lot of practice, patience and luck to get one that works and looks decent.  Thanks for following along! 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
 Happy Retirement !
Great way to kick it off. Neat structure by FOS. Not on the que shelf here but a neat kit to show off your modeling skills. Will pull up a chair...
 Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on May 14, 2024, 08:46:22 PMBob,
 Happy Retirement !
Great way to kick it off. Neat structure by FOS. Not on the que shelf here but a neat kit to show off your modeling skills. Will pull up a chair...
 Tommy

Thanks for following along Tommy!  Yes, I liked this one from the moment I first saw it.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Zephyrus52246

Bob, have you tried one of these Kadee coupler adjust tools to try bending the tubing?

Jeff

ReadingBob

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on May 18, 2024, 05:32:40 PMBob, have you tried one of these Kadee coupler adjust tools to try bending the tubing?

Jeff

Good thought and yes, I did.  It didn't work like I had hoped it would.  It still caused pinch points in the tubing.  I have a small needle nose type pliers where both sides are round (like the one side of the Kadee Coupler tool).  I've had some success using that and making a series or very small bends.  I just have to remember to be patient, go slow, and not make any of the bends too sharp.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

deemery

Bob, I wonder if you can find a soft (copper) wire that you could feed into the tubing, and then try to bend with the tubing filled with that soft wire?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Vietnam Seabee

I wonder how this Fasttracks rail bender would work

https://handlaidtrack.com/product/tl-0004/

Kind of pricey tho 89.00

Terry

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on May 19, 2024, 10:50:36 AMBob, I wonder if you can find a soft (copper) wire that you could feed into the tubing, and then try to bend with the tubing filled with that soft wire?

dave

Good thought but it's tough enough to feed the two leads from the LED thru the tubing, prior to bending it.  I doubt I could anything else thru there.  This stuff is tiny.  :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Vietnam Seabee on May 19, 2024, 08:54:24 PMI wonder how this Fasttracks rail bender would work

https://handlaidtrack.com/product/tl-0004/

Kind of pricey tho 89.00

Terry

That's a good thought Terry but it wouldn't make bends small enough for a gooseneck lamp in HO Scale.  It's just a bit too big.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net