Clearwater Valley Railway Co.

Started by elwoodblues, January 04, 2025, 05:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Great start Ron. I look forward to seeing what you do.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

friscomike

Howdy Ron,

Wow, that looks terrific, AI or not.  It's a great guide.

Have fun,
mike

Larry C

Ron your 2nd AI photo looks great! Hope you can pull this off it would look amazing. Have fun.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

Rick

Ron, the AI rendering looks very good.
The added space for more scenery is a good idea.

robert goslin

Looks good Ron.  And the proper use of AI as a guiding tool to see how the scene will look.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

elwoodblues

Thanks for the comments and encouragement Curt, Mike, Larry, Rick and Rob.

Rick, the added depth will make things a little easier.

Rob, I only use AI as a tool.

Time for another update, this one is called. . . . . 

Building Minecraft mountains.

Why call it Minecraft mountains?  Because I will be using foam blocks to piece it together.



Staging205.jpg
First Attempt.  Figured I would start at the tunnel portal and work to the right. I wasn't happy with this as I found the mountain too steep at the tunnel portal.



Staging206.jpg
Second Attempt.  I cut the height down and was happier with this approach.


Staging206a.jpg
After wasting more foam that I care to admit too, I decided to go full Minecraft mode.  First I added a tunnel liner,  This was glued in place using 5-minute epoxy.  Past experience has shown me that the 5-minute epoxy does not attack the foam and it sticks really, really well.



Staging207.jpg
Taking various thickness of 1/2", 1" and 2" foam I cut it into various sizes and pinned them in place.  It was at this point that I decided to make a steeper mountain.  I am modeling the Rocky Mountains.  8)   Do you see why I call this the Minecraft method?  ;D  I got this far using the chopped up pieces from my previous attempts.



Staging208.jpg
The completed mountain using more blocks.  This ends stage 1 of my mountain building method.

Now comes the harder part blending this all together.  This involves carving the foam to make it a more realistic mountain by getting rid of the current blocky nature.

Thanks for looking in. 
Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railroad Co.
www.cvry.ca

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Larry C

Ron nice start and that's quite the puzzle of foam. Good luck with the blending process.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

Rick

Interesting technique.
I was going to ask if you were going to apply plaster cloth next and then I read your last sentence.
Reminds of how Dave Meek does mountains.

Philip

That porthole area looks difficult. Persist as Mike says!

Philip

deemery

A trick to see how the plaster would look:  Drape damp paper towels over the styrofoam.  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Powered by EzPortal