Scratchbuilt River Boat Inspired by the African Queen

Started by robert goslin, September 25, 2026, 08:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry C

Rob you're off to a great start and the original photos look interesting.
I'll be following the master on this one.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

robert goslin

Thanks Larry.  Not a lot of photo's of the prototype from the movie.
For the movie they used two boats, in two different filming locations.
One is still in Uganda, but the other one is now a tourist boat in Florida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Queen_(boat)

So I got the boiler made, using some scrap box parts.  Just made up something that looks mechanical.




For the lagging wrapped around one of the pipes I just used a strip of newspaper.
I also made a metal plate for the deck under the boiler / motor from card and embossed rivets on it using a pounce wheel


And have now added the tarp over the canopy.
I used stiff card for this, but sanded the edges so I could give a drooping look.
And have also added the rope bumper around the outside of the hull, and weathered the sides.








Not much to go now.  Just the mast, some crates etc.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Powered by EzPortal