Davetown Boardwalk

Started by DaveInTheHat, September 29, 2014, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveInTheHat

I couldn't find anything that I thought would be good to use the to make the cone, so I made one out of paper. I started out by rolling it into a cone shape and sticking it together with a little Elmer's glue

I coated it inside and out with super glue. Then gave it a coat of primer. A little putty and another coat of primer.

I got the building together and then I noticed that I screwed up. The siding on the sides is upside down. I'll fix that.

gnatshop

Screw-Ups!!
Are you related to that l'il Tommy boy in Floridy?  ;D ;D ;D

DaveInTheHat

Ok! I got the siding right this time.

I got paint on this. Hopefully tomorrow I'll paint the lettering on the front of the building.

I got a base color on the cone. I'm going to add some stripes or something to it. Then add something that will look like strips of fried clams. Not sure what that's going to be yet.

DaveInTheHat

I think this building would look best with the lettering painted on the building rather than make a sign. I used Illustrator to lay it out. I printed out the lettering for the building and cut the paper out so I had a way to align it.

To transfer the lettering to the building I rubbed the back of the paper with a #2 pencil.

Then taped the paper to the building and drew around the edges of the letters to transfer them. Sorry about the blurry picture. To make sure that I got everything I only taped the paper on the bottom so that I could lift it without losing the position.

The image of the letters is a little bit faint because of the siding. If it was a smooth surface it would be easier, but it's close enough for what I'm expecting.

I used a 20/0 brush and Folk Art White paint thinned with a little windshield washer fluid and painted the letters.

Needs a little clean up, but it looks like a hand painted sign. I might give it an outline or a drop shadow to make it stand out a little bit.
I put crazy stripes on the cone chucking it in a drill a little off center so that it wobbled and touched it with a loaded paintbrush.

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

gnatshop

i  LIKE it!!
How about pencil shavings for the clam (or mountain oyster) strips?

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on October 19, 2014, 10:42:18 PM
Screw-Ups!!
Are you related to that l'il Tommy boy in Floridy?  ;D ;D ;D

What, me screw up? Nah!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Quote from: gnatshop on October 21, 2014, 11:44:43 PM
i  LIKE it!!
How about pencil shavings for the clam (or mountain oyster) strips?
Or better, run some balsa over a cheese grater?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

DaveInTheHat

I outlined the letters with black and drilled a hole to mount the cone.

I used cut strips of index card and painted them some weird orange color to make the clams.

There isn't anything done on the inside, maybe later. I didn't glue anything down yet but here it is on the boardwalk.

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jrmueller

Neat!  I'll take a large order with extra tartar sauce.  Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

DaveInTheHat

I found a bunch of pictures of surfboards through a Google search. I printed them on index cards then gave them a couple coats of gloss clear. After they dried the back side got a coat of spray glue and I stuck them to clear plastic that my wife saved for me. They were the covers for the aluminum pans we used at Thanksgiving. I cut them out after the glue dries for a while.

I guess this is going to be a surfboard shop. That idea could change it may be something else. I rooted around through all this junk trying to come up with an idea. Seems like the best way is to just dump all this crap out and start by holding pieces together until something looks like it would work.

I came up with theses pieces. I guess it was Al's General Store. It was a "glue bomb" that I got with a bunch of stuff.

The corners were screwed up and had these thick things on them. The shape looked a little wide to me anyway, so I measure from the center and cut off a little on both sides.

I hacked up all the pieces and came up with this.

Looks a little better in primer.

gnatshop

You've brought me back to the Sixties - "Wipe Out", by The Surfaris, "Pipeline" by the Chantays, "Surf's Up" and
"Surfin' Safari" by The Beach Boys, and "California Dreamin'"  by The Mamas & The Papas, to name a few!

Thanks for the memories, although we've never had any surf in Arkansas!!  ;D ;D ;D

cuse

Loving this thread. Good, goofy fun with some serious, clever, creative modeling. Great stuff as always! Fun approach to the hobby -  like it should be  :)

John

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com