The 2016 EXPO... SAVE THE DATE!

Started by RailroadKits, May 07, 2015, 07:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailroadKits

THURSDAY MARCH 31ST - SATURDAY APRIL 2, 2016.
Danvers, Massachusetts.

Details coming soon...

BandOGuy

April Fool's!
Can't wait to see Friday's seminar schedule.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

jbvb

A short drive from a big club (North Shore in Wakefield, MA), a couple of good hobby shops (Charles Ro in Malden & Northeastern Craftsman Supply in Methuen) and the F&SM in Peabody.  Not so much railfan interest as Scranton, though - lots of MBTA commuter trains and transit, Amtrak (electrified south of Boston) but no museums within an hour and hardly any freight closer than Lawrence MA.  Our Tour de Chooch has included some nice layouts in the area, so I'm wondering if they'll organize tours.

And of course, very convenient for me.
James

Raymo

Will Bob Mitchell's slide projector work on April  1st? ;D

deemery

I've been to conferences in Danvers before.  It's a little inconvenient to get to, but if it's where I was before, the hotel facilities are good and the costs are reasonable (at least for Bahstun.)  When you're planning travel, consider flying into Manchester NH (MHT) and driving south, as well as into Boston and driving through Bahstun Traffic. 

James, will the North Shore clam places be open?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jbvb

Dave, few of our 'summer-only' businesses will be open until snow gets really unlikely, say about April 15.  Thus, I didn't give pointers to Seashore or the Maine Narrow Gauge. But Farnhams and Woodman's in Essex, the Clam Box in Ipswich and Lena's in Salisbury are 'three-' or 'four-season' businesses and should be open.

The place by Depot Rd. in Rowley that used to debate with Woodman's over who invented fried clams has gone under.
James

S&S RR

It's on the schedule. How can you get there without Boston airport?
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jbvb

Dave's point about Danvers is that there is little, if any, public transit of any sort in that part of suburban Boston.  Whether you fly to Logan (Boston) or Manchester, you'll likely have to rent a car or hire a limo (unless the hotel has a shuttle of some kind). 

No blame to the organizers, though - Once you get beyond Cambridge, the only hotels/motels of any size I know to be less than a mile from an MBTA station are in downtowns like Worcester, Lowell and Salem.
James

deemery

Quote from: jbvb on May 07, 2015, 12:35:31 PM
Dave's point about Danvers is that there is little, if any, public transit of any sort in that part of suburban Boston.  Whether you fly to Logan (Boston) or Manchester, you'll likely have to rent a car or hire a limo (unless the hotel has a shuttle of some kind). 

No blame to the organizers, though - Once you get beyond Cambridge, the only hotels/motels of any size I know to be less than a mile from an MBTA station are in downtowns like Worcester, Lowell and Salem.
Exactly, thanks for clarifying, James.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

halrey

Well it's not like getting in and out of the Holiday Inn in Peabody, that was life threatening...

The hotel also has a very nice golf course on the property and a indoor water park if you get bored, now we will know where to look for Brian if goes MIA...only kidding Brian!

Logan Express is about 6 or 7 minutes south of the hotel and the hotel shuttle will be available to shuttle folks back and forth.

We will have a shuttle between the hotel and the F&SM.

Like Mr Jimmy said, more info. too come soon!

Hal
Hal Reynolds
Atlantic Scale Modelers
PO Box 223
Peabody, MA 01960

jbvb

Oh, that place. I remember when it was the pastures and fields of "Alfalfa Farm", whose modern (for the 1950s) dairy barns and "blue tombstone" Harvestore silos still stand on the other side of I-95.
James

halrey

Ya James,

It's still there but now it's a winery, diagonally across the highway from the Hilton.

Something else to do, if one gets bored...

Hal

Hal Reynolds
Atlantic Scale Modelers
PO Box 223
Peabody, MA 01960

BandOGuy

The Winery looks like a great place for Saturday's banquet.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ollevon

I'll be just getting home from Florida, Friday April 1st,  So I'll see all of you then.  I may even open my layout for a tour for Sunday. We'll have to see what Rob says about that.
  Sam

NEBrownstone

Quote from: halrey on May 07, 2015, 03:35:41 PM

The hotel also has a very nice golf course on the property and a indoor water park if you get bored, now we will know where to look for Brian if goes MIA...only kidding Brian!

Hal

No, you are not.  You  know darn well that's exactly where he'd be. :P