The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazeman

Like the "touch" of the fallen head stone.  Growing up next to a cemetery, saw my share of them on the older stones as I looked out my bedroom window.

Thought:  consider placing name of departed forum members on stones as a memorial to them.

LARRY

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looking just beautiful. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Zephyrus52246

The toppled tree, slime and toppled stone make it perfect.  Wonderful work on the graveyard.

Jeff

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 03, 2021, 06:44:50 PM
Very nice scene Tom. I like the asymmetry of the graveyard.. Reminds me of a older graveyard.

Curt,

Thanks very much. The scene is slowly coming together as planned. I've noticed here around town the older cemeteries have fences. Hmmm, to keep the deceased in of the living out?

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 04, 2021, 06:58:01 AM
The slimy green is a perfect touch!   :D :D :D

Bob,

Thanks, it adds a little interest to the scene.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on February 04, 2021, 08:55:20 AM
Like the "touch" of the fallen head stone.  Growing up next to a cemetery, saw my share of them on the older stones as I looked out my bedroom window.

Thought:  consider placing name of departed forum members on stones as a memorial to them.

LARRY

Larry,

Thank you, much appreciated. Yes, lost forum members on the stones would be nice. Now, how to get the names that small. Doug has some names laser cut into many but they require an Opti-Visor to read them.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 04, 2021, 09:07:07 AM
Hey Tom:

Looking just beautiful. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Karl,

Always appreciate your support, thank you.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on February 04, 2021, 04:16:51 PM
The toppled tree, slime and toppled stone make it perfect.  Wonderful work on the graveyard.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you, much appreciate the compliment. This is a fun little diorama in the scene. Worked on the road today.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Today I painted white glue (not shown) on the pink foam and then added some Scenic Express Fine Dirt to the glue. I let this dry.

It appears dry in the photo but the glue underneath is still wet.

When the dirt was dry, I used a soft bristle 1" brush to remove the excess dirt. It will be added later.

I added some dead ground cover around the base of the church. We all know grass doesn't grow under structures.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the photo below, you can see the dirt turning darker color. This simply means the dirt is settling into the glue.

The dirt road appears wide here as this is a close up photo. When the road is finished, I'll narrow it by bringing in the ground cover on each side.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After several hours of letting the road dry, I sprayed it with wet water and then added matte medium. I let the matte medium set a few minutes and then added the second layer of dirt.

However, this time I applied it using a small screened sieve to apply the dirt.

I added some fine dirt to the sieve and held it over an old pie tin. You can see simply by adding the dirt some came through the sieve. You don't want to do this over already completed scenery - so the sieve was used.

I held the sieve over the road and tapped the side to sift the dirt onto the matte medium. This method gives you a smoother road than by using a brush.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I made a wood track crossing out of some scrap strip wood. It was stained with medium brown A&I from Hunterline.

I got dirt and matte medium on the crossing. I used a clean Q-tip dipped in clean water to remove the dirt and matte medium. Notice also the road is starting to dry.

Dirt on the wood crossing is natural as the vehicles would spread the dirt when in use.

I used a plexi-glass car from Jim Miller to make sure I got all the dirt and glue out. It rolled very smoothly through the crossing.

This method of building a dirt road is a slow process. I've learned it over many years of adding crappy looking dirt roads to previous layouts. It will take a few days to get it looking like a dirt road.

Done for today.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision