Wednesday - January 12, 2021

Started by ReadingBob, January 12, 2022, 06:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Morning all,

Three day weekend coming up.  I just need to survive the rest of the work week to get there.   ;D  That reminds me.  I need to schedule some days off in Feb, Mar, Apr and May.  It's a long stretch between Martin Luther King Jr. day and Memorial Day.   :P

From the F&SM but I bet I didn't have to tell you that.  ;)

Have a great one!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jim Donovan

Good Morning;

With our new puppies the morning comes a lot quicker that is for sure. Still, would not have it any other way. The Boss and myself are sitting on Lanai, coffee in hand, reading while the pups play together on the floor.

I made some serious progress on my chemical factory project yesterday and hope to make more today. Main parts done, now electric and detail parts. I enjoy both.

Judge, thanks for the Tom Langford update. Good to hear.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

deemery

We got home from Rome last night.  Except for a terrible experience with security in Munich ('random security checks' is statistical bovine effluent - terrorists are not uniformly distributed over the population of fliers!) and when my wife got to the plane without me, her seat was given away, it was a good trip.  Today is unpacking, laundry, and photo organizing.  Also I'll put together a short talk on my B&M boxcar bulk build project. 

Glad to hear how well Tom is recovering! 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Good morning.

Pretty much same old here...

Everyone have a safe and productive day!
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Good Morning All,

The only thing planned is working on the build, but MOH may have other ideas about that.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Good morning! Working on the railroad this morning.  I stopped in for a cup of coffee. I hope everyone has a great day. From the F&SM:

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Late start today...
Temps back in the low 30's...
Photo posted on another link that is followed is the GTW 51st and St. Louis wooden depot in Chicago that was a hangout of mine
till it was torn down when the Elston yard closed.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

NEMMRRC

Howdy,

If your "grandson" calls you on the phone freaked out because he had an "accident" and needs bail/bond money in cash and he puts his lawyer on the phone, it is very likely a scam. It's most definitely a scam if his voice is not that of your grandson but he sounds "funny" because he broke his nose and has a busted lip due to the accident. Just saying....

Later.

Jaime

deemery

We had 7 messages on the answering machine from the 8 days we were away.  None of them left a message (typical scam behavior.)  Today we got -another 6- of those calls.  Makes me wonder if the scammers knew we weren't home...  And that's Not a Comforting Thought....

dave

p.s.  I failed the prerequisite for a grandchild....

Opa George

I used to have a chip on my shoulder thinking I would never fall for a scam, until it got knocked off when I ALMOST did.  It was a few years ago-- the one where the boss emails you to go buy some gift cards and email him the numbers so he can send a gift.  Something didn't seem right, but it was a busy day and I walked out to my car to do it.  Once I sat in my car and thought about it, realization, fortunately, crashed into my brain at once: WAIT A MINUTE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

My first clue was that the email sender (who had forged my boss's email) was rude and in a hurry, and my boss at the time was actually a really nice guy with manners. 

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

GPdemayo

You're right George, these guys don't quit and they have gotten extremely creative in their pitches.

We get at least 10 to 15 robo calls a day and dozens of emails from people trying to get information to get access to our accounts. It is real annoying when I'm in the middle of some work and I have to stop and answer the phone.

I guess this is something we are going to have to live with in this wonderful age of technology..... >:(
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

We don't answer the phone unless Caller ID indicates someone we know.  We let it go to voicemail, and if there's an actual legitimate message, we'll call back. 

Forged caller ID is still a problem, Telcos and FCC have not been fully successful in shutting that down.  And in my view, that's UNFORGIVABLE. 

dave

ReadingBob

And let's not forget text messages and e-mails.  I must have gotten an e-mail from the "Security Department" of every bank in the country that my on-line access has been suspended.   ;D

Best joke I head was the one warning parents to carefully inspect the candy their children received for Halloween.  It had a picture of someone pulling a note out of a candy bar that read "We've been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty....."  ;D ;D ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Oldguy

We recently updated our land line phones and they came with a robo call blocker.  One must push a certain keypad button to get through.  We haven't had a scam call for over a year now.  The down side is those medical office visit confirmations are blocked as well.   

There are less than a dozen people have my cell phone number, so it hardly ever rings.  Scammers haven't found it yet.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond