Red Hook Wharf

Started by craftsmankits, January 29, 2022, 04:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craftsmankits

Personally, I'm thankful for the re-release of Red Hook Wharf.  This is a kit I've wanted for some time.  Missed out on the initial offering.  I'm not sure how many original kits are left unbuilt.  I know those remaining kits were worth some good coin.  Obviously, this will drive the price down on those remaining kits, but this is a Christmas comes way early moment for me in the hobby.

Many thanks to Doug for offering the kit a second time.

Opa George

Sure wish I had room on my layout for this beauty--I've been wistfully looking at it on eBay for years.  But all  remaining real estate on the Twin Mountain line is spoken for.

--Opa George
George Nagle
Twin Mountain Barge & Navigation Co.
Harrisburg, PA

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Opa George on January 30, 2022, 07:46:43 AM
Sure wish I had room on my layout for this beauty--I've been wistfully looking at it on eBay for years.  But all  remaining real estate on the Twin Mountain line is spoken for.

--Opa George
Get it anyway and have fun building it. You can then donate to some poor sap that missed out on both issues of this kit 😂

Jaime

S&S RR

Now I don't feel bad about about building and kit bashing the one I have on the shelf  - that I was offered $1400 for a few years ago.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ReadingBob

I have one sitting on the spare bed behind me.  Building it is in the near future for me.  I want it to be the focal point/anchor for a 2' x 4' module that might be the starting point for a small 2' x 8' (or more) switching layout.  I've been pondering the design though.  A bit of design paralysis so to speak.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 30, 2022, 09:46:59 AM
I have one sitting on the spare bed behind me.  Building it is in the near future for me.  I want it to be the focal point/anchor for a 2' x 4' module that might be the starting point for a small 2' x 8' (or more) switching layout.  I've been pondering the design though.  A bit of design paralysis so to speak.   ::)

Bob,

Jason Jensen said he'll be building Red Hook to use as the focal point on a peninsula he's adding to his layout.  Maybe watching his YouTube video when it comes out will help you with your design.  FWIW, I watch all his model railroad videos, seems like I learn something from each.
Jerry

EricQuebec

I've scratchbuild it in 2013. a great fun.
Eric

Janbouli

I have mixed feelings about re-running a limited edition , one side of me says limited is limited , the other says good because kits are meant to be built and not saved to make a profit on them. How do you all feel about this?
I love photo's, don't we all.

vinceg

Quote from: Janbouli on January 30, 2022, 12:34:10 PM
I have mixed feelings about re-running a limited edition , one side of me says limited is limited , the other says good because kits are meant to be built and not saved to make a profit on them. How do you all feel about this?

I think the rerun is great. It is a great service to modelers who missed a great kit the first time around (like me - I didn't even know about FOS scale when the kit first came out...just ordered mine now). I know it's a disservice to those who buy 10 of them and make a business out of scalping them (I am sure many of us have seen sellers sell the same kit on eBay in back-to-back auctions). But, as you said, the intent is for great products to be built and enjoyed by modelers. But, I believe the kit makers do limited runs to build demand and, more importantly, reduce their own maintenance burden for old kits. I don't think they are really focused on or promising extra value because they're one-of-a-kind-forever. The demand comes from "I'm going to build this many now -- you have to buy 'em before I run out....who knows if/when I will offer them again." People who want to do market speculation can do something else....maybe short pharma stocks.

Like Bob, I want to feature a waterfront peninsula somewhere on my layout. I am thinking that Red Hook will anchor it and will be joined by Emporium Seafood, and perhaps a couple of other things. This new purchase will help drive me to sell off some other kits that I know won't make their way to the layout. I promised myself a zero-sum game on kit inventory at this point. Sokay. I have expected that for a while.

Cheers,
Vince

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Mark Dalrymple

The value I see in limited run kits is that there aren't many of them around and so if you go to the trouble of putting several hundred hours of work into building one, it should be a feature on your layout that visitors haven't seen before (or have only seen 1 or 2) rather than something that every man and his dog has on their layout.  This is one of the main reasons I try to kitbash the hell out of every kit, or better still, scratchbuild.  For this reason I don't like to see limited run kits rerun.

Guys - bash the hell out of it!!!

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Quote from: Mark Dalrymple on January 30, 2022, 04:59:11 PM
The value I see in limited run kits is that there aren't many of them around and so if you go to the trouble of putting several hundred hours of work into building one, it should be a feature on your layout that visitors haven't seen before (or have only seen 1 or 2) rather than something that every man and his dog has on their layout.  This is one of the main reasons I try to kitbash the hell out of every kit, or better still, scratchbuild.  For this reason I don't like to see limited run kits rerun.

Guys - bash the hell out of it!!!

Cheers, Mark.

I tend to think the same Mark. Although I would like to buy one to build .

craftsmankits

Well, that didn't take long.  Sold out, both domestic and international.  It will be back, but the demand, without a doubt, was there.  I wonder what other 'surprises' are in store?

Mark

vinceg

Quote from: craftsmankits on January 30, 2022, 11:09:12 PM
Well, that didn't take long.  Sold out, both domestic and international.  It will be back, but the demand, without a doubt, was there.  I wonder what other 'surprises' are in store?

Mark

Holy cow....I got the email on Saturday. Less than 48 hours! Glad I got my snout in the trough.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

NEMMRRC

Well, it's nice to have the kit available. But I will always wonder in the back of my mind, " is this new giant limited edition Fos kit going to be available again later ...."

Jaime

Janbouli

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 31, 2022, 11:37:01 AM
Well, it's nice to have the kit available. But I will always wonder in the back of my mind, " is this new giant limited edition Fos kit going to be available again later ...."

Jaime

The advantage of that is that prospectors won't be buying all the kits before builders can get a hand on them.