The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Finally, after many years of working on the Ovalix, I've reached the top and now the three passenger cars are on the top/third level.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 19, 2019, 08:04:13 PM
Congratulations Tom.

Curt,

Thank you. Its a small milestone but and accomplishment all the same.

Tom ;D

Curt is switching a leased PRR L1 2-8-2 in Tahope and the Judge is at the throttle of the ACL Champion.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jrmueller

Thanks for you pm and the follow up withe pictures. I figured that was what you were doing  I think my problem can be traced to a poor soldering job and nor using connectors. Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: jrmueller on January 20, 2019, 09:02:04 AM
Thanks for you pm and the follow up withe pictures. I figured that was what you were doing  I think my problem can be traced to a poor soldering job and nor using connectors. Jim

Jim,

You are very welcome, happy to help.

I've never used connectors if you are talking about them to connect the feeders from the track. I solder my feeders directly to the buss wires. It takes more time and is a hassle but for me it's well worth not worrying about a loose wire. 8) 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once I got to the top of the Ovalix, I wanted to install two #8 turnouts. I either needed to "kitbash" the turnouts or lose 1.5 degrees of the 36" radius. This 36" radius curve is part of the north reverse loop on the third level.

I decided to make the adjustment at the turnouts instead of reducing the 36" curve to a 34.5" radius.

In the photo below the left turnout goes to the mainline and north reverse loop. The turnout on the right is just the opposite. One line comes up from the Ovalix and the other is part of the south reverse loop.

Here are the two #8 turnouts.

To get my 1.5 inch back, I need to remove 3/4" from each turnout. This 3/4" length is equal to three ties and rail from each end of the turnout.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I removed the three ties as shown. The black Sharpie mark is where the rail needs to be removed.

The rails on the left turnout were cut, squared with the Dremel, and rail joiners added. Notice I also shortened the rail joiner by cutting off the end.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I kitbashed the right turnout as well.

Now you can see the two turnouts are quite shorter, actually 1.5 inches as needed.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Over the past two days I've laid a box of Midwest Cork Roadbed. Laying cork is also like laying track. It has to be free of any bumps and should be considered a model also. Look at the roadbed as a subassembly to the track.

Here is where I started. The turnout main is the south section of the north reverse loop section. You'll see more of this when track is laid. The track going to the left is the north section of the north reverse loop.

I have a different way of laying the cork to ensure a smooth and level sub roadbed for the track. I'll go over this tomorrow.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Instead of changing all the narratives above, I'll change it here.

When I mentioned "reverse loop" above, I was actually meaning the north "Y" and south "Y", which is what I refer to as the reverse loop.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Doing great work Tom. Am I correct in thinking there is a wye on both sides of the 3rd level ovalix?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Your trackwork is inspiring Tom , would the Ovalix be easy to scale down or do I have to speak to Gregory about one in N-scale  ::) ;D
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 21, 2019, 06:02:20 PM
Doing great work Tom. Am I correct in thinking there is a wye on both sides of the 3rd level ovalix?

Curt,

Thank you. Yes, you are correct.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on January 21, 2019, 06:54:03 PM
Your trackwork is inspiring Tom , would the Ovalix be easy to scale down or do I have to speak to Gregory about one in N-scale  ::) ;D

Jan,

Thank you. I'll send what information I have Greg did for me. See if it will work or you can scale it to "N" scale.

If not I'm sure we can get Greg to help.

Tom ;D

PS - Jan, I sent the information to you in a PM.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 22, 2019, 08:42:40 AM
Quote from: Janbouli on January 21, 2019, 06:54:03 PM

Jan,

Thank you. I'll send what information I have Greg did for me. See if it will work or you can scale it to "N" scale.

If not I'm sure we can get Greg to help.

Tom ;D

PS - Jan, I sent the information to you in a PM.

Be happy to hop in if needed.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL