The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Two wide pieces together -

As I mentioned, you can have the two pieces together but the roadbed will not be consistent.

Again, the wide and narrow pieces need to be opposed to each other.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The track gang was very busy today working on the A&S RR.  130 feet of cork and track was laid from Summit, around the back of the Ovalix, across the 30 degree crossing west of Summit and down the west side of level three.

Laying cork and track is just, well, laying track and cork. Ya'll need no photos for this.

There is a #8 turnout coming off the third level mainline crossing a 30 degree crossing and down the middle of the third level island.

One problem, other than Atlas(no way I'm buying one of those), there is no Walthers/Shinohara 30 degree crossing available. I've found plenty of 60s and 90s. Walthers isn't expecting any for the next several months if then.

However, I prepared the area when one does arrive. If necessary I'll scratch build one but only as a last resort.

I printed out the photo from Walthers online site and scaled it to "HO". I placed a section of code 83 track over the template to make sure I had the correct scale.

After just a little tweaking, I had it.

I glued it to the plywood.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Cork was glued over the template, sanded and one section of track was added.

I'll let the next several photos tell the story. My fingers are getting hoarse from all the cork and track laying.

From the center of the crossing, I've allowed for a section of 7 inches of straight track each way.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This track is temporary and the 30 degree crossing will be cut in later.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

sdrees

Hi Tom,

Your trackwork is coming along very well.  Jeff Otto, Oak Hill Model Railroad supply can make a crossing for you at any degree you want. He does a good job.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on January 28, 2019, 04:37:07 PM
Hi Tom,

Your trackwork is coming along very well.  Jeff Otto, Oak Hill Model Railroad supply can make a crossing for you at any degree you want. He does a good job.

Steve,

Appreciate you checking in and mentioning Oak Hill. I checked them out last week but I think $150.00 starting price is just over the top.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Blazeman

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 28, 2019, 04:16:27 PM

One problem, other than Atlas(no way I'm buying one of those),

I'm not in HO so not familiar with the situation.  Can you elaborate?  Curious.

Larry

jimmillho

Tom, that cork looks like it is one piece.  Great job.

Jim

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on January 29, 2019, 10:26:04 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on January 28, 2019, 04:16:27 PM

One problem, other than Atlas(no way I'm buying one of those),

I'm not in HO so not familiar with the situation.  Can you elaborate?  Curious.

Larry

Larry,

The Atlas crossing are just cheaply made and the quality is very much lacking. The gaps in and around the crossing/diamond are way out of scale as well.

It's the old story, you get what you pay for.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com