The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 22, 2019, 08:41:11 AM
Mainline loop in place.....how about starting the A&S 500 - steam vs. diesel around the oval.....we could charge admission, get sponsors (call Slim and Groovy).....this could be bigger than Daytona..... ;D

Greg,

Careful my friend, I may have to suspend your throttle privileges. 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 22, 2019, 12:33:52 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 22, 2019, 08:41:11 AM
Mainline loop in place.....how about starting the A&S 500 - steam vs. diesel around the oval.....we could charge admission, get sponsors (call Slim and Groovy).....this could be bigger than Daytona..... ;D

Greg,

Careful my friend, I may have to suspend your throttle privileges. 8)

Tom ;D

Awwwww come on, don't be an old poop.....if we made enough off the sponsors, we could build a real big layout with multi-track mainline for proper race conditions and generate more revenue.....just a thought.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Watching trains race up and down the helix would probably make me dizzy...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

It must be really nice to have a RR room that big. Layout is looking just beautiful.

Karl

Bruce Oberleitner

Uncle Tommie,
Amazing work as always.  The new "Skybridge" looks great!  One thing you might want to consider is adding some clear plastic sidebars to the bridge so if train derail on that section at least they wouldn't fall all the way to the floor.

;D ;D :o

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 22, 2019, 02:10:59 PM

Awwwww come on, don't be an old poop.....if we made enough off the sponsors, we could build a real big layout with multi-track mainline for proper race conditions and generate more revenue.....just a thought.  ::)

Greg,

Well, yes, I guess I am!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on March 22, 2019, 03:39:35 PM

dave

Dave,

When the Judge and I use the Ovalix, no problem. Watching Greg's trains on the Ovalix, well, that is an issue all it's own. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 23, 2019, 02:04:07 PM
Hey Tom:

It must be really nice to have a RR room that big. Layout is looking just beautiful.

Karl

Karl,

Yes, I'm very blessed to have this much room. Although in my youth, I wanted twice the space. Now that I'm an official in good standing of the "Geezer Club", this is sometimes a bit to much.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on March 24, 2019, 11:01:46 AM
Uncle Tommie,
Amazing work as always.  The new "Skybridge" looks great!  One thing you might want to consider is adding some clear plastic sidebars to the bridge so if train derail on that section at least they wouldn't fall all the way to the floor.

;D ;D :o

Cousin Brucie,

Thank you kind sir. The sky bridge and the second level bridges will have a stip of Masonite added to the sides.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I haven't been active in posting nor have I been very active in working on the layout lately either.

After finishing the track work on the third level I kept getting a short when the train crossed the "Great Divide". I spent several days attempting to find the short with no success.

I decided to just walk away for some down time.

I believe my problem is connected to the second level. I tapped into the second level buss line and daisy chained it to the third level buss line. The third level is wired exactly as the second level, yet the short still happens.

I've decided to cut the two and have the third level on it's own power district. I'll be using the Digitrax DB200+ booster for the third level. I have one on the second level and I've not experienced any issues.

I'll be making the change sometime next week.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 04, 2019, 04:38:17 PM
Quote from: deemery on March 22, 2019, 03:39:35 PM

dave

Dave,

When the Judge and I use the Ovalix, no problem. Watching Greg's trains on the Ovalix, well, that is an issue all it's own. 8)

Tom ;D

Aw.....fast freight and crack passenger trains are expected to travel at a certain speed.....after all, a railroad doesn't want to deliver spoiled food or carry cranky passengers!  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 04, 2019, 04:55:31 PM
I haven't been active in posting nor have I been very active in working on the layout lately either.

After finishing the track work on the third level I kept getting a short when the train crossed the "Great Divide". I spent several days attempting to find the short with no success.

I decided to just walk away for some down time.

I believe my problem is connected to the second level. I tapped into the second level buss line and daisy chained it to the third level buss line. The third level is wired exactly as the second level, yet the short still happens.

I've decided to cut the two and have the third level on it's own power district. I'll be using the Digitrax DB200+ booster for the third level. I have one on the second level and I've not experienced any issues.

I'll be making the change sometime next week.

We all hit snags, usually there electrical, I also find that getting away from it for a few days helps.  I usually come back and fix it in a couple hours after spending days spinning my wheels.  Keep up the great modeling.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Bruce Oberleitner

Cousin Tommie,
For what its worth my friend Bob Parrish taught me to have the command center turned on while I lay track.  At first, I thought that was a bit strange.  However, if I accidentally create a reversing loop, it will notify me right away with it's short buzzer.  Maybe some of the new trackage on the third level did this.  Another thought is you might have a new switch on the third level which is shorting the railroad out. 

BTW, taking a break is always a good idea.

The Diet Pepsi swilling kid

;D ;D :P

S&S RR

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on April 06, 2019, 09:56:31 AM
Cousin Tommie,
For what its worth my friend Bob Parrish taught me to have the command center turned on while I lay track.  At first, I thought that was a bit strange.  However, if I accidentally create a reversing loop, it will notify me right away with it's short buzzer.  Maybe some of the new trackage on the third level did this.  Another thought is you might have a new switch on the third level which is shorting the railroad out. 

BTW, taking a break is always a good idea.

The Diet Pepsi swilling kid

;D ;D :P

Bruces suggestion reminded me that I always connect a continuity detector  to the track when I'm working on it. My  Dad made it from a door bell probably 60 or 70 years ago. If I get my wires crossed it rings a bell. I always get a kick out of using my Dad's tools (many of them he made himself) when I'm working on the layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad