The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge

IMPERIAL HOTEL - The A&S always has a couple of rooms reserved at the Imperial Hotel for out-of-town railroaders who get stuck in Tahope overnight.  The A&S spares no expense to make our railroaders comfortable in the finest hotel accommodations available.  Sometimes the call boys have to be very considerate and only knock on the doors to awaken the crews.  One small matter of inconvenience is the single bath located at the end of the hall on each floor.  But each room is provided with a pitcher of water and a washbasin for the morning toilette.   There is a bar located on the ground floor but no food service.  The crews eat at Sweaty Betty's on their way to the roundhouse.

BandOGuy

I can picture that.
Couple more 1792's, I'll be able to picture anything.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Keep It Rusty

Quote from: cuse on November 02, 2020, 08:05:21 AM
That Hotel will look great with Tom's city scenery around it. I purchased it on a whim because it looked really great. I quickly realized it didn't really go with my New England Backwoods narrow gauge theme...It looked like the Eiffel Tower surrounded by one story clapboard shacks  :o .

Good job with the bridge storage Tom.

John

Did you purchase it pre-built, out of interest? Love it a lot.

ACL1504

Quote from: Rusty Robot on November 03, 2020, 06:22:01 PM
Quote from: cuse on November 02, 2020, 08:05:21 AM
That Hotel will look great with Tom's city scenery around it. I purchased it on a whim because it looked really great. I quickly realized it didn't really go with my New England Backwoods narrow gauge theme...It looked like the Eiffel Tower surrounded by one story clapboard shacks  :o .

Good job with the bridge storage Tom.

John

Did you purchase it pre-built, out of interest? Love it a lot.

Craig,

John told me he purchased it built. It is missing an awning over the doors.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Wow, it's been two months since I worked on the layout. Time sure does go by quickly when busy with other projects. As they say, "Time lost can never be found."

I've been very busy in helping Claire move/sell Jim's trains. I've been at it for the past three months plus. I now have all Jim's trains and other railroad related items here at the house. I'll get back selling on Ebay the first of the year or February at the latest.

For now, I plan to concentrate on the Atlantic and Southern Railroad. I have many projects in my head needing to be completed by the end of the year. A self imposed deadline if you will.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Great to hear your back working on the layout Tom.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

That's a great lantern collection. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on November 11, 2020, 09:37:41 PM
Great to hear your back working on the layout Tom.

John,

It's long overdue for sure.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Karl,

Thank you. The lantern collection is from my friends, Bill and Kris Cutler. They gifted me the lanterns when they moved to NC. What you see is not quite half of what I have room to display.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

These next series of posts to the A&S build thread aren't really exciting but none the less very important. Today, I worked on adding the other two support posts on the north side of the river area.

These are 1/4 inch steel threaded rods and support the upper level. You've read where the Judge refers to this upper level as The Summit Level.

Here are the two steel rods on the south side of the river.

More in a few. I'm going to need a Diet Pepsi for the rest.  :P
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The planned distance between the south side and north side supports is 38".  The benchwork is level above the south supports.

38" to the left and the benchwork is way off level.

I see benchwork as a model. When the base is off, the higher you go the more the structure is off. Level benchwork will mean level track later. So, yes, this is boring but very necessary and important.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com